Club closure/change rumours

gracesett replied on 03/11/2023 18:20

Posted on 03/11/2023 18:20

I have seen on Social media that a rumour (true/false) about Chatsworth site is to close. Is this fact or fiction and do members await the news in the AGM of the future plans for the site?

TimboC replied on 03/11/2023 18:29

Posted on 03/11/2023 18:29

I spoke at length about this to a representative at the NEC recently

The lease on the Chatsworth site expires in 2025, and negotiations are ongoing to renew it. Lets hope that they are successful, as I understand that the Club want to invest in the site and have the money available.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/11/2023 21:46

Posted on 03/11/2023 21:46

I don't know about Chatsworth but I think we have to accept that any site that is held on a lease is always at risk until a new agreement is signed. Circumstances  were often very different when the original leases were agreed and lots has changed since. 

David

GTP replied on 04/11/2023 11:12

Posted on 03/11/2023 21:46 by DavidKlyne

I don't know about Chatsworth but I think we have to accept that any site that is held on a lease is always at risk until a new agreement is signed. Circumstances  were often very different when the original leases were agreed and lots has changed since. 

David

Posted on 04/11/2023 11:12

Circumstances  were often very different when the original leases were agreed and lots has changed since. 

Including a new 15yr plan .. https://devonshiregroup.co.uk/plans-for-the-future-of-chatsworth-estate-move-into-next-phase/

ps..Chatsworth Christmas market opens today.....which you need to pre-book if attending by car at https://www.chatsworth.org/events/christmas-market/  or if on site use the gate and walk in....or Baslow car park and walk in....the event itself is free admission..

DavidKlyne replied on 04/11/2023 12:23

Posted on 04/11/2023 11:12 by GTP

Circumstances  were often very different when the original leases were agreed and lots has changed since. 

Including a new 15yr plan .. https://devonshiregroup.co.uk/plans-for-the-future-of-chatsworth-estate-move-into-next-phase/

ps..Chatsworth Christmas market opens today.....which you need to pre-book if attending by car at https://www.chatsworth.org/events/christmas-market/  or if on site use the gate and walk in....or Baslow car park and walk in....the event itself is free admission..

Posted on 04/11/2023 12:23

It seems whenever there is a new inheritance of these big estates you get "new ideas". Hopefully this is slightly different at Chatsworth as the Devonshire's have stepped aside, but still there, so hopefully will still hold some influence. We have seen what has happened at Blenheim where the site was closed despite the fact that the Club were willing to pay for a major refurbishment had they managed to get a decent new lease. On a lesser scale we have seen access at Longleat curtailed compared to what it used to be. As far as Chatsworth is concerned I imagine it will all boil down to what the Estate could do with the space taken up by the campsite especially with regards to planning and whether a change would bring more revenue to the Estate. It usually boils down to money at the end of the day!

David

peedee replied on 04/11/2023 13:29

Posted on 04/11/2023 13:29

Hopefully as they have cottages and sheperd's huts elsewhere on the estate they won't want the Club's space but I wouldn't bank on it. It is all about making money these days.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook