Caravan's first service

The Delves Jivers replied on 22/12/2016 19:10

Posted on 22/12/2016 19:10

Hi All

Bought our Bailey Pursuit (JIve) in march 2016. Had several good weekend away and a 2 week break in Cornwall.

Will need to arrange for the first service in a short  while has anyone got any suggestions of what to lookout for when choosing  an service depot or any recommendations.

We are based in Walsall West Midlands.

Merry Christmas 

JVB66 replied on 22/12/2016 19:20

Posted on 22/12/2016 19:20

If you need to protect your warranty then it would be best to either use a Bailey Agent or a Bailey service centre if a mobile company check that they are authorised to service Bailey

EJB986 replied on 23/12/2016 16:49

Posted on 23/12/2016 16:49

Many dealers won't service 'vans they haven't sold...also, many are booked up for months in advance!

So, it's often the dealer you bought from and at their pricesurprisedsmile

ChrisRogers replied on 24/12/2016 12:40

Posted on 24/12/2016 12:40

Make sure you go back to your supplying dealer for its first service, I did with a list of niggles and a major fault, cracked rear panel, that needed sorting under warranty. The dealer also found another fault, leaking Heki roof light, he had to fit a new one and new boarding, he had it for 8 weeks. It is the supplying dealer who has to sort out the warranty problems. However I did purchase a 3 year service plan which worked out bit cheaper.

Pippah45 replied on 24/12/2016 14:23

Posted on 24/12/2016 14:23

I would try and get a recommendation from someone on here or somewhere - My nearest dealership although a member of the NCC is total rubbish at servicing so be very careful with your choice.  I was truly lucky to escape not one but two grave errors with the gas connection (they failed to tighten the hose to the gas cylinder it was finger loose!  for the first one - more fool me for going back to them I suppose!)  My van is no longer under warranty and so I can go  with a brilliant mobile firm. 

The Delves Jivers replied on 29/12/2016 18:01

Posted on 29/12/2016 18:01

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and advice. I'll get a quot from the the company we purchased from, thje draw back being that it is in Yorkshire a few hours drive away from home, so it will need to include a stop over or perhaps in a hotel

Thanks again and happy new year

ChrisRogers replied on 29/12/2016 20:03

Posted on 29/12/2016 18:01 by The Delves Jivers

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and advice. I'll get a quot from the the company we purchased from, thje draw back being that it is in Yorkshire a few hours drive away from home, so it will need to include a stop over or perhaps in a hotel

Thanks again and happy new year

Posted on 29/12/2016 20:03

With me, my supplying dealer is a 20 min. drive from my caravan storage, so not a problem.

crown green bowler replied on 30/12/2016 11:18

Posted on 30/12/2016 11:18

Cosford Caravans at Cosford is a large Bailey dealer with workshops. We have never used them because we have never had a Bailey van. We have an Elddis and used Raymond James at Atherstone for the last service and found them very good, and I think they are Bailey agents, but it's best to ring around. The last service they started on our van first and I waited for it save double trips from Walsall.

The Delves Jivers replied on 19/01/2017 20:21

Posted on 19/01/2017 20:21

Thanks crown green bowler, I think we live in the same town, so in the middle between Cosford & Atherstone, being able to wait sounds a good idea. Safe travelling 

Ellsmere replied on 19/01/2017 20:54

Posted on 19/01/2017 20:54

Remember to check that you have caravan insurance if left for service overnight.

My local dealer "Campbells", has a disclaimer and will not accept liability for damage whilst in their care.

I have checked several insurance policies including my own and they will not cover either. frown

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook