And now for something completely different..

TonyandKarenM replied on 24/01/2019 07:44

Posted on 24/01/2019 07:44

My wife Karen and I have recently returned to the UK having spent 12yrs in Cyprus. We liked the thought of caravanning and after much research, visited a dealer to look at some caravans. Some time later we left having paid a deposit on a Bailey Platinum 640! It arrives in a few weeks so looking forward to that (with a little trepidation!)  and a new adventure... 

ABM replied on 25/01/2019 11:21

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:21

Welcome  to  the  Club  T & K  smile.

Don't  stop  the  research  but  do  keep  a  very  tight  rein  on  the  cards/chequebook/purses  etc.  Some  things  are  needed  like  :--  25 metre  mains  lead  if  you  are  going  to  use  club/commercial  sites,  waste  container,  fresh  water  container  &  hose.  BUT  these  really  should  be  part  of  the  original  deal  if  you  have  used  a  professional  trader wink.  You'll  get more  advice  soon  when  other  members  wake-up.

For  the  First  trips  out  many  will  recommend  somewhere  close  to  home  so  you  can  collect  those  silly  forgotten  items  BUT  whatever  you  do  forget  ALWAYS  take  your  sense  of  humour  !!

Brian

Bakers2 replied on 25/01/2019 11:37

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:37

Hello and welcome from me. In view of where you've come from I suggest you remember the difference in temperature from where you came from with any packing 😂😂.

Agree with ABM go local asap after collection, that night if possible, to try EVERYTHING out. The items he states are essential, hopefully your dealer included them?

Think about a day in your life and pack stuff from home initially. Most of us have a shelf, cupboard or shed/garage with 'essential' items 😂😂😂. You can then stock your van appropriately. Weight of stuff placed in the van needs watching. Everything as lightweight as possible! Electrical appliances need to be low wattage as electric hook up (ehu) will be limited anywhere between 6 and 16 amps.

Don't be afraid to ask on here, the search facility isn't great 😉 or when you're out and about we're a friendly bunch.

DaveandVicki replied on 25/01/2019 11:54

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:54

Hello and welcome Tony and Karen.

Where are you getting the caravan from ?

If near Lincoln I would heartily recommend taking the caravan to Skybarn Farm cl just off the A46 towards Newark. Very easy to get to if you are new to towing.

Nicola and Richard are very helpful and I'm sure they would be only too willing to point you in the right direction.

Plenty of other cl's round Lincs but this is a favourite of ours.

lornalou1 replied on 25/01/2019 12:22

Posted on 25/01/2019 12:22

be interested to know what the tow car is. needs to be around 1600kg kerb weight to be near the 85% recommended tow weight.

TonyandKarenM replied on 25/01/2019 13:50

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:21 by ABM

Welcome  to  the  Club  T & K  smile.

Don't  stop  the  research  but  do  keep  a  very  tight  rein  on  the  cards/chequebook/purses  etc.  Some  things  are  needed  like  :--  25 metre  mains  lead  if  you  are  going  to  use  club/commercial  sites,  waste  container,  fresh  water  container  &  hose.  BUT  these  really  should  be  part  of  the  original  deal  if  you  have  used  a  professional  trader wink.  You'll  get more  advice  soon  when  other  members  wake-up.

For  the  First  trips  out  many  will  recommend  somewhere  close  to  home  so  you  can  collect  those  silly  forgotten  items  BUT  whatever  you  do  forget  ALWAYS  take  your  sense  of  humour  !!

Brian

Posted on 25/01/2019 13:50

Thanks for the advice. We are getting a starter pack included but I will check out the length of the mains lead. It's a Bailey, so plugs in on the "wrong side" I believe. Looking for a good site near Chipping Sodbury en-route back to south Lincs.

TonyandKarenM replied on 25/01/2019 13:54

Posted on 25/01/2019 12:22 by lornalou1

be interested to know what the tow car is. needs to be around 1600kg kerb weight to be near the 85% recommended tow weight.

Posted on 25/01/2019 13:54

Hi. We have a Qashqai 1.6dci auto. Max towing weight is 1400kg. I will be putting all the heavy stuff (awning etc.) in the car as there is just the two of us and there's plenty of room.

TonyandKarenM replied on 25/01/2019 13:59

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:54 by DaveandVicki

Hello and welcome Tony and Karen.

Where are you getting the caravan from ?

If near Lincoln I would heartily recommend taking the caravan to Skybarn Farm cl just off the A46 towards Newark. Very easy to get to if you are new to towing.

Nicola and Richard are very helpful and I'm sure they would be only too willing to point you in the right direction.

Plenty of other cl's round Lincs but this is a favourite of ours.

Posted on 25/01/2019 13:59

Thanks for that. Will be handy for practicing at and for short trips. We are in Moulton. The caravan is from Chipping Sodbury. A bit of a journey I know, but the dealer special package and discounts on awning etc., were too good to pass up.

TonyandKarenM replied on 25/01/2019 14:06

Posted on 25/01/2019 11:37 by Bakers2

Hello and welcome from me. In view of where you've come from I suggest you remember the difference in temperature from where you came from with any packing 😂😂.

Agree with ABM go local asap after collection, that night if possible, to try EVERYTHING out. The items he states are essential, hopefully your dealer included them?

Think about a day in your life and pack stuff from home initially. Most of us have a shelf, cupboard or shed/garage with 'essential' items 😂😂😂. You can then stock your van appropriately. Weight of stuff placed in the van needs watching. Everything as lightweight as possible! Electrical appliances need to be low wattage as electric hook up (ehu) will be limited anywhere between 6 and 16 amps.

Don't be afraid to ask on here, the search facility isn't great 😉 or when you're out and about we're a friendly bunch.

Posted on 25/01/2019 14:06

Hi. Many thanks for that. We have already had to invest in... wellies, thermal socks, and gore tex suits! Ha!Ha!  We are looking for a good site to practice on near Chipping Sodbury. We have the info from CMC so will book one for two or three days. We only have an allowance of 151kg so need to keep it light.

You mention 6 to 16 amps. What sort of TV should we look for? Just in case it's raining! 

replied on 25/01/2019 14:29

Posted on 25/01/2019 14:29

In the UK you will generally find between 10 amp and 16 amp. 16 amp is more common and I put heating on 2kw when in use or 1kw on a 10 amp site. Not the best to advise on TV as I don't watch wink

brue replied on 25/01/2019 14:36

Posted on 25/01/2019 13:50 by TonyandKarenM

Thanks for the advice. We are getting a starter pack included but I will check out the length of the mains lead. It's a Bailey, so plugs in on the "wrong side" I believe. Looking for a good site near Chipping Sodbury en-route back to south Lincs.

Posted on 25/01/2019 14:36

If it's any help you could try Tudor Caravan Park near Slimbridge, interesting spot not far from Chipping Sodbury and it's open all year.

Tudor Caravan Park LINK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook