Air Awnings

laphroiag replied on 23/03/2017 14:37

Posted on 23/03/2017 14:37

Hi

We are looking at an air awning for use on short trips. The three we are looking at are:-

Kampa Pro Air 350

Sunncamp Curve Air 390

Towsure Insignia 390

Has anybody any experience of any of the awnings?

Peter

Quasar524 replied on 23/03/2017 14:55

Posted on 23/03/2017 14:55

I have never used an air awning but, talking to people who have, two issues seem to arise.  Provided your pitch is dead level and your van is a matching height they are fine. However on a sloping pitch they can collect water due to the lack of any height adjustment, as is available with metal poles.   Also, for tall folk the lower headroom can apparently be a nuisance.

ChemicalJasper replied on 23/03/2017 21:20

Posted on 23/03/2017 14:55 by Quasar524

I have never used an air awning but, talking to people who have, two issues seem to arise.  Provided your pitch is dead level and your van is a matching height they are fine. However on a sloping pitch they can collect water due to the lack of any height adjustment, as is available with metal poles.   Also, for tall folk the lower headroom can apparently be a nuisance.

Posted on 23/03/2017 21:20

I guess it depends on what awning, the worst pitch I have ever been on was in France when I had the first gen Kampa Air 390m the front of the van was on the floor and I has the ramps under the fully down legs at the back.

The awning did not look pretty, but it would not have collected water.

I upgraded to the Air Ace 400, for the extra width, but have loved both of them.

They have their pros and cons

I sometimes think the Air Ace is a little big for weekends, especially if it is wet with the heavier fabric and miss the lighter weight Air 390. (I think the Pro is the heavier fabric?)

TerryB replied on 24/03/2017 10:36

Posted on 24/03/2017 10:36

We have a Kampa Fiesta air pro 420. It's in its fourth year now and is the best awning we've ever had, and we've had a few! It has been up in force 8s and torrential rain without problems. The joy of this one is the panels all come off completely, so we can just have a sun canopy if we want. Since it sits in Spanish sun for 6 weeks and French sun for another 6 every year, it's fading a bit now but when the time comes it will be replaced by another similar.

rnlisg replied on 28/03/2017 13:30

Posted on 28/03/2017 13:30

I have 3 friends who have bought(at no small cost)this type of awning over the last 3 years,all have now sold them and gone back to porch awnings.

main reasons were

1/ not good on uneven pitches.

2/ valves did not always keep air in.

3/ in high winds they moved around,ie the side to the wind bowed inwards.

4/some models have a "step"when going into the awning and made it easy to trip on.

but if you feel it suits your needs then have a look as there are plenty on the market.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook