2004 Nissan Navara

Woldsman replied on 07/09/2017 07:36

Posted on 07/09/2017 07:36

I'm thinking of towing my Bailey Pegasus 514 with my old Nissan Pickup. Loads of reasons - mostly related to helping children with house moves and decorating!

My usual towing vehicle is a Mercedes ML 320, but I'm also trying to keep the mileage/wear & tear down on that.

Have members any direct experience on towing with a pick up truck regarding impact on the caravan? Regular users of a similar vehicle for towing.  Any experiences of reception at Club Sites

Many thanks

JayEss replied on 07/09/2017 08:16

Posted on 07/09/2017 08:16

We have never towed a caravan with anything else. We've not had a Nissan yet but we've had its rivals.

The only issue we've ever had is getting the towball at the right height but drop plates are easy to fit. Towing and manouvering is fine. 

No problem on club sites - this is the reason we joined in the first place. Quite a few private sites have a no commercial vehicles rule so a phone call helps at times.  Recently I've seen this rule change a bit though as pick ups are becoming more popular 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/09/2017 09:06

Posted on 07/09/2017 09:06

Same as JS here, with a pickup you also have a trailer load of room at the back to ensure you don't overload your C/van. Never had a single issue. Enjoysmile

Freedom a whitebox replied on 07/09/2017 10:36

Posted on 07/09/2017 07:36 by Woldsman

I'm thinking of towing my Bailey Pegasus 514 with my old Nissan Pickup. Loads of reasons - mostly related to helping children with house moves and decorating!

My usual towing vehicle is a Mercedes ML 320, but I'm also trying to keep the mileage/wear & tear down on that.

Have members any direct experience on towing with a pick up truck regarding impact on the caravan? Regular users of a similar vehicle for towing.  Any experiences of reception at Club Sites

Many thanks

Posted on 07/09/2017 10:36

Hi Woldsman, I towed my Pegasus 534 with a 2006 Navara adventurer ( manual ) and currently tow a unicorn with a 2013 outlaw (auto).

I can honestly say that I have had no problems with either. They are rock solid and pull effortlessly. Having the bed behind the cab is ideal loading up instead of trying to fill the caravan and overloading it.

I normally have a snug top fitted when towing.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook