WiFi cost and quality

ScreenName00B56D6B40 replied on 05/07/2024 20:01

Posted on 05/07/2024 20:01

We use a number of sites during the year and I am disappointed with the so called ‘upgrade’ to the WiFi.  The limit of one hour for the basic everyday functions, including booking sites etc is a joke.  Asking for £5 a day for each device means an additional cost of £10 a day to use my iPad, and the tv on top of the already high pitch prices.  The quality of the signal is so poor this makes matters worse.  I realise the changeover was forced on the club last year but surely someone looked at cost and quality for members before they committed to it!

SteveL replied on 05/07/2024 21:46

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:46

There is no additional charge for the basic WiFi, which is OK for emails and general browsing. It is limited to an hour before you get logged out, but you can log back in again straight away. You can also connect up to 5 devices. The premium WiFi is £5 per device for a day. However, other plans are available for a week / month that work out less expensive.

Personally I just make use of the free (inclusive WiFi) and link to my phones 4/5G for anything which requires more bandwidth/ security.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/07/2024 21:49

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:49

When we were active motorhomers we used our phones for internet use and I would suggest that we had a reasonable signal 90% of the time so we rarely used the club WiFi. I have tried the "free" version but have tended to revert to the phones. I think the problem is that the Club throttle back the bandwidth on the free service to the point where it only works consistently at quieter times. The problem with a two tear system is that the pay version is used as a last resort. Its good value if an annual ticket is purchased but the short term use is disproportionately expensive.

David

richardandros replied on 07/07/2024 13:57

Posted on 07/07/2024 13:57

As SteveL says above - security is my main concern and I wouldn't trust public wifi anywhere.  I did give it a test at Sandringham recently - because for the first time ever - my mobile wifi was useless at any time other than the silly hour I get up! The Club free wifi was delivering  all of 1Mbps download - so effectively useless as well.

Never had this problem before - even at Sandringham and put it down to the location of the particular pitch we were on.

DavidKlyne replied on 08/07/2024 08:58

Posted on 08/07/2024 08:58

Just a heads up from a post I saw on Facebook. Not sure if it applies to all sites but certainly some have a WiFi Heat Map to give an idea where the best signal is and possibly where to avoid. The details are in a .PDF file in the same place as the site plan or the site details. As an example this is the Heat Plan for Morn Hill Thought some of you might find it useful. 

David

SteveL replied on 08/07/2024 09:46

Posted on 08/07/2024 09:46

They make interesting viewing. Dunnet Bay where we stopped recently has hardly any coverage for someone whose device only works at 2.4 GHz. We were able to use the free service effectively in a 2.4 not spot area, therefore I assume my pad must have been using 5GHz.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook