Why Oh Why

Whittakerr replied on 04/02/2016 09:23

Posted on 04/02/2016 09:23

I've just been looking at a few recent threads on CT. Is it a wonder so many people have left the forum when quite a few threads end up in unnecessary and unpleasant  personal slanging matches. Surely life's to short.

moulesy replied on 04/02/2016 09:31

Posted on 04/02/2016 09:31

I don't think it's anything like as bad as it used to be W. There are some threads where folk have genuine disagreements and that's only to be expected on a forum of this type. But the days when personal insults and petty name calling were common are thankfully long gone. Even attempts to hijack threads onto a poster's particular hobby horse are relatively few now.

To me the problem at the moment is more that a small number of posters try to dominate threads by making frequent very lengthy comments, often repeating what they've said earlier in the thread. It seems to be an attempt to browbeat others into submission - not very pleasant (IMHO!)

volvoman9 replied on 04/02/2016 09:44

Posted on 04/02/2016 09:44

Its very true life is too short but i dont think many threads end up in slanging matches really and in most cases its soon forgotten.Yes its true that some can get a bit heated at times but it can depend on what is being discussed.Some subjects can generate a serious difference of opinion and we all think we are right.There is nothing wrong with good debate but where it can falter is when A starts telling B what he or she should or should not be doing.We live in a free society where we make up our own minds on the way we should live our lives.There is a big difference between telling someone how you see a certain subject and telling them how they should see it according too you.For me this forum remains a good source of info mixed with interesting debate and personnal experiences.Happy

peter.

Kennine replied on 04/02/2016 10:11

Posted on 04/02/2016 10:11

With reference to the OP 

This forum does NOT have slanging matches.  It is not that kind of forum.. --- Differences of opinion however are welcome on any forum.

There are a few posters who view any post which does not agree with their own narrow minded views as Sacrilege but that says more about them, than it does about the forum.

This is a nice gentle forum !!

Smile

JonDavis replied on 04/02/2016 10:19

Posted on 04/02/2016 10:19

Do you not think a discussion exuding some passionate views, which occasionally becomes heated, is far better than one discussing bland topics  

Tinwheeler replied on 04/02/2016 10:54

Posted on 04/02/2016 10:54

JD, as such a newcomer to CT you won't be aware of the stalking, bullying and sniping that occurred in months gone by. Things have improved but, as others have said, there are still a few who insist on ramming their views down other people's throats and dragging threads off topic. 

As you are so new, I'd welcome your views on what you see.

huskydog replied on 04/02/2016 11:26

Posted on 04/02/2016 11:26

There is nothing wrong with a fellow member having a different opinion to yourself and healthy debate is good, but once it starts to get personal then its the time to stop the thread

Must admit iv'e never felt bullied ,stalked or sniped at on CT

replied on 04/02/2016 11:36

Posted on 04/02/2016 11:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 04/02/2016 12:10

Posted on 04/02/2016 12:10

I actually think that though the quantity of posts has declined  the quality has improved in proportion. 

No less that I'd expect.

Whittakerr replied on 04/02/2016 12:36

Posted on 04/02/2016 12:36

Thanks to those who have replied. I will conceed that it has diminished somewhat , however there are still some posters, only a few, who seem to want to argue or contradict other posters just for the sake of it, in my opinion anyway.

JayEss replied on 04/02/2016 14:11

Posted on 04/02/2016 14:11

[quote] Must admit iv'e never felt bullied ,stalked or sniped at on CT [/quote]

I've never experienced male pattern baldness but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen Wink

It's quiet because new targets are being sought.  I agree entirely with Whitakkerr's OP and more recent post

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook