Towing with a 1.6 Diesel Kia Sportage - advice!

TEM replied on 27/02/2022 15:46

Posted on 27/02/2022 15:46

Hello everyone! Soon be time to unwrap our faithful caravans and set off to pastures new. We, unfortunately, need to change our 7 year old towcar. Our Honda CR-V has had an electrical problem which has taken over 4 weeks to find and a further week to fix! So, we are considering a 1.6 Diesel Kia Sportage for our replacement and wondered if other members have had experience towing with them. Our caravan is a Lunar Ultima 462 and has an MTPLM of 1200kg. The recommended towing capacity suggests 1600kg but I'd like to be sure that this is reliable. Kia's website says that the maximum braked load is 1400kg. Please, any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy caravanning to all!

Wherenext replied on 27/02/2022 17:19

Posted on 27/02/2022 17:19

We have a 2.0 Sportage which tows a Coachman 460 without a problem. Those parameters you mention would seem to be within reason.

Very happy with Kia. I have owned just the 2 of them and both have proved to be reliable tuggers. Plus the 7 year warranty helps and the dealership is nationwide.

We changed from a Hyundai 1.7 when we bought the coachman as it was heavier than the Lunar Stellar that it towed. Wasn't very impressed with the Hyundai performance and we had several issues with it.

Wherenext replied on 27/02/2022 17:32

Posted on 27/02/2022 17:32

TEM, you will probably find this post moved to the Towing section further down the front page of C.T. by a moderator. You'll get more replies there anyway.

Extugger replied on 01/03/2022 07:17

Posted on 01/03/2022 07:17

Agree with all the above. The figures stack up for you as a towing match and I can only endorse the brand (I'm on my 4th) The 7 year warranty is very reassuring, although I've never had to use it!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook