Stickies

RowenaBCAMC replied on 20/04/2017 15:52

Posted on 20/04/2017 15:52

It's been brought to my attention that the stickies have been causing some annoyance and I wanted to find out your thoughts and opinions on this so we can make some improvements to your experience when using Club Together. 

Do you find stickies useful? If so in which instances do you find them useful? 

Should we set a limit to the amount of stickies? 

I know we're not going to all agree so sorry that I won't be able to find a solution that will suit us all but hopefully we can come up with a solution that the majority are happy with. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Metheven replied on 20/04/2017 16:07

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:07

Any sticky regarding CL's or if you can amalgamate some need to stay, or at least have very serious consideration in my opinion, they need all the help they can get albeit to a small audience such as this forum. I have found the CL 'stickies' useful, but I would as they are my preference.

Perhaps try to slot in a 'sticky' section under some meaningful heading where stickies of importance could live in one place. Certainly there are too many scattered over a wide area and need to be looked at again.

Bakers2 replied on 20/04/2017 16:11

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:11

Definitely agree on CL stickies. They might be able to be dispensed with if the search worked properly 😉. There's a thread about typing in white white, a proper club site, that brings up sites around London 😲

RowenaBCAMC replied on 20/04/2017 16:11

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:11

Thanks Dave. That's a good idea - an important announcement discussion section maybe. I agree the CL stickies are very important and I really want to support CLs on Club Together. I might see if we can try and use one of the side boxes to link to a CL discussion. Any other ideas welcome.

Bakers2 replied on 20/04/2017 16:13

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:13

Also the non ehu one loads if useful info and often referred others to it. Not sure that it is one at present.

EJB986 replied on 20/04/2017 16:15

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:15

Stickies with more than 5 comments is simply a thread.

Some on this site have more than 400 posts....the aim of a sticky is to give detailed information on a very specific subject.....not to expect the reader to read up to 500 posts to get a simple answer!

If the forum was displayed correctly 4 would be acceptable as on other forums. However if there are 4 on this forum the first page is full when it opens....requiring scrolling to see the actual posts.

Metheven replied on 20/04/2017 16:16

Posted on 20/04/2017 16:16

Sorry not a stickie, but could do with trimming/deleting.

Ask the Expert and its archives, that section I would guess and is in my opinion innocent could be dispensed with in its entirety. It never took off, a lot of posts were attempts at 'having a go' at the expert and its out of date.

Plus its confusing for new users who thinks there is an expert awaiting their call, so the post there.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/04/2017 10:20

Posted on 21/04/2017 10:20

I have done a bit of research. There are 32 sections in Club Together and a total of 24 stickies. The CL section has the most with 5 although users of that section seem to like stickies? There are 4 in the Overseas section which cover important topics, although probably a couple could be combined. There is one on driver safety which I accept is a bit questionable as it is a discussion rather than an information point. Whether a discussion is a sticky and an active thread is really neither here nor there. If the subject matter justifies being a sticky what is the issue? Rather than just highlight stickies in general it would be useful if people should first of all identify the sticky they feel is not justified and explain their reasons why it should be removed this would either allow a counter argument to be put in place or provide an opportunity to be removed as it may have been overlooked?

David

eurortraveller replied on 21/04/2017 10:52

Posted on 21/04/2017 10:52

There are 107 posts in the " sticky" on French city pollution badges at the top of the Overseas section.  

Some of the posts give useful information, and some misleading information. Some just repeat what other people have said. Some simply say My badge has arrived and other say mine hasn't . 

It needs someone on the Head Office  staff to delete the lot and wipe the slate clean  - and put one single official Club statement up there - setting out how to apply and where you will actually need the badge. 

EJB986 replied on 21/04/2017 15:12

Posted on 21/04/2017 10:52 by eurortraveller

There are 107 posts in the " sticky" on French city pollution badges at the top of the Overseas section.  

Some of the posts give useful information, and some misleading information. Some just repeat what other people have said. Some simply say My badge has arrived and other say mine hasn't . 

It needs someone on the Head Office  staff to delete the lot and wipe the slate clean  - and put one single official Club statement up there - setting out how to apply and where you will actually need the badge. 

Posted on 21/04/2017 15:12

Sadly it seems that Head Office Staff, IT personnel, moderators and others simply...... A. don't know the normal standards for forum layout and use and....... B. Haven't  the ability to change or edit situations as they arise.

It was suggested by  a moderator that the German and French (plus others) environmental sticker requirements would be edited to one thread (Sticky?) with only the relevant information.

It's a great shame!

DavidKlyne replied on 21/04/2017 15:38

Posted on 21/04/2017 15:38

I am not sure we should be so prescriptive as you seem to the suggesting which if I understand it correctly that only one post containing the main information should be kept and closed but remain a sticky? Take for example the French CRIT'air sticker. That is something new this year and many people still have not started their holiday in France so the thread is kept open so that anyone can ask a question. If we close it with just the main information locked within a sticky thread all we will get is numerous other posts on the same subject. Keeping the sticky post available to posting helps avoid that. As for normal forum standards what forum would you point to? Caravan Talk and Motorhome Facts have a very similar arrangement.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook