Smelly fridge

jenniebennie replied on 03/07/2023 12:09

Posted on 03/07/2023 12:09

Whilst at West Ayton in the recent hot weather, our Thetford fridge was on at a high setting using electric. The smell when opening the door was foul enough to make you gag. This has happened before in similar circumstances. I have contacted Thetford whose brilliant suggestions so far are to make sure it is clean !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that the door is left open when not in use. It is something far more fundamental than that.

Anyone with a similar issue? 

Moderator comment: Moved to the relevant topic area

Takethedogalong replied on 03/07/2023 12:20

Posted on 03/07/2023 12:20

It might be the drain pipe. Have a look around the empty fridge, see if you can locate what looks like a small drain hole, and make sure it isn’t blocked by bits of food debris. 

If the fridge is working ok, it might just be this. We use anti bacterial wipes on the inside of our fridge as soon as we get home and empty it, and then leave the door wide open. This prevents any mould until we can give it a proper clean out.

Check it isn’t discharging coolant as well, but I think you would know if it was, smells like bad eggs, and of course fridge won’t work properly.

Good luck with it.

jenniebennie replied on 03/07/2023 13:43

Posted on 03/07/2023 13:43

We have looked at the drain holes and had the grilles off outside as someone said there may be a reservoir of foul water (there isn't).  Tried the fridge on but empty when we got home, after it had been cleaned but no smell. You might be right that it could be discharging coolant, but everything seemed cold enough. Will have to get someone out to look if we can't fix it - I have refused to go away again until it is cured!

Takethedogalong replied on 03/07/2023 14:10

Posted on 03/07/2023 14:10

You would know if it’s discharging coolant, it is absolutely foul.

If it has no smell when empty, then it does sound like it’s something you are putting in. All the food will need a bit of space to work efficiently, particularly in very hot weather. 

You could try it for 24 hours while at home🤔 24 hours empty, then 24 with food in. I would try it on both electric, and gas. Might indicate better if there is a problem.

jenniebennie replied on 03/07/2023 15:55

Posted on 03/07/2023 15:55

We always put the fridge on for 24 hours at home before putting food in to take away. We will try some food out of our freezer for 24 hours and see if that smells at all, but believe me it is absolutely foul, foul enough to have to open the door and windows until it has cleared, then hold your breath when opening the door. It is only when the weather is extremely hot that it seems to do it.

If it was discharging coolant where would it go to? Would there be signs of it anywhere or would it just be gaseous?

My husband is a retired govt. scientist and can get to tyhe root of most things, but not this.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook