Serviced pitch

gillianmary replied on 28/07/2021 16:05

Posted on 28/07/2021 16:05

Hope someone out there can help.  We are staying at at Brighton in a couple of weeks and, for the first time, are using a serviced pitch as it was the only type of pitch available at the time of booking.  We are just wondering exactly what equipment we shall need  for water and waste.  Please help if possible.   Gill

SteveL replied on 28/07/2021 16:25

Posted on 28/07/2021 16:25

You don’t necessarily need anything it will just be a bit quicker filling and emptying. However, if you are going to use them in future it may be worth investing. You can get a float device that fits in the aquaroll and keeps it half full, for your pump to draw from. You will require some food grade hose to link this to the tap. The CC now recommend 25 metres of this, however in most cases 10 are sufficient  and almost always 15 metres is enough. 
You will also require some waste pipe. You can use the coiled stuff or rigid. If the coiled it’s worth getting  two or three of lengths totalling 8 / 10 metres that you can join together if required. Or you could use thiscollapz stuff that I bought to use when we site our MH on a service pitch.

Cornersteady replied on 28/07/2021 16:34

Posted on 28/07/2021 16:34

As Steve says, also a range of garden type hose connectors to connect the pipe to the tap which will be usually at the bollard for the EHU.

You can continue to use your wastemaster but you can buy some (cheap) waste pipes to take your waste water straight to the drain, a couple of meters should be enough though check what diameter outlet your caravan has as it will simply just push into it. 

Post edit: Sorry Steve, did you add the bit about waste pipes? I wouldn't have posted otherwise.

SteveL replied on 28/07/2021 16:47

Posted on 28/07/2021 16:47

As it’s easy to join lengths of hose / waste at a later date if you decide to make use of them again. It might be worth giving the site a ring and asking what lengths of each you will require for their service pitches. It does vary a fair bit from site to site. Some have one bollard between two pitches with two taps / waste inlets. Others one on each pitch. Checking would mean you could buy the minimum at this stage. Even if you decide not to fork out for the aquaroll float device at this stage. A length of hose will mean the aquaroll can be quickly topped up without moving it. It’s how we started with our use of them, just a hose and a length of waste.

Wherenext replied on 28/07/2021 16:50

Posted on 28/07/2021 16:50

You definitely are not obligated to buy or use any kit. However, you may find you like using these pitches and will go out and buy yourself the equipment needed.

I don't know if you use CLs at all but we have found an increase in the number of CLs that, if not supplying a full service pitch, will or may have an "enhanced pitch" which will usually mean you will have access to a water pipe for your own use. If you do use CLs you will know some owners allow you to run the waste water into a hedge and you may therefore need slightly more/longer length of waste pipe than on a club site.

HarryTheHymer replied on 29/07/2021 22:17

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:17

‘…If you do use CLs you will know some owners allow you to run the waste water into a hedge …’

another reason to avoid  them.

EmilysDad replied on 29/07/2021 22:53

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:17 by HarryTheHymer

‘…If you do use CLs you will know some owners allow you to run the waste water into a hedge …’

another reason to avoid  them.

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:53

... another reason to avoid  them.

I don't mind you avoiding them as it leaves them free for me but ... Why? Grey water is only water with a bit of soap & fat in it

Tinwheeler replied on 29/07/2021 22:56

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:56

Remember what we were told to do with dish water and bath water back in the drought years? Yes, use it to water the garden plants.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/07/2021 23:20

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:56 by Tinwheeler

Remember what we were told to do with dish water and bath water back in the drought years? Yes, use it to water the garden plants.

Posted on 29/07/2021 23:20

Being on a meter-it still makes sense👍🏻😊

richardandros replied on 30/07/2021 04:43

Posted on 29/07/2021 22:56 by Tinwheeler

Posted on 30/07/2021 04:43

Plus, some CL owners don't want their septic tanks filled up with waste water - which they have to pay for, to be emptied - for it to end up where??

Some other tips for the future.  I have about 15m of food grade hose.  An 8m length which covers most eventualities, plus a 5m and a 2m with connectors to give you that flexibility in connections depending how far away from the tap you are.

Can thoroughly recommend the Colapz waste pipe system - I have 8m which live in the van permanently and hardly takes up any room in its own storage bag. It is expensive, however.

A lot of CLs will have a tap shared between two or three pitches and I carry a four-way tap splitter (about £15) which allows me to plumb into the water and others to do the same if they want to - or to use it as a conventional tap.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook