Search Engine

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2018 18:26

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:26

What a waste of space this is on CT. 

I know that there is a thread somewhere that used to be a sticky on Motorway Service Stations and I wanted to add to it. If you put in Motorway Service Stations into Search you generally get a load of rubbish that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter. 

Mattresses that hurt your back?

A Frame weights?

Great Service from Protec?

Is it just me or do others find the search to be useless?

brue replied on 23/02/2018 18:39

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:39

A search only works at the head of each individual section. However if you don't know where a particular topic was posted there's no hope of finding it unless you go via Google.

So, yes, the search facility is useless and no-one from the club is interested in improving CT are they? 

Sadly all the valuable information contributed by many members over the last six years has vanished into the ether.

frown

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2018 18:41

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:41

Thanks, ET, but it wasn't this one I was looking for. I think Pippah started it a while ago, maybe on the old forum, but it was a general thing as opposed to a specific service station. 

This still begs the question as to why putting in Motorway Service Stations didn't produce this thread, at least on the first 2 pages that I looked at. At least your link does actually have the relevant wording in but what have A Frame weights etc. got to do with the subject being searched for?

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2018 18:45

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:45

So, yes, the search facility is useless and no-one from the club is interested in improving CT are they?

Sadly not Brue. Have they stopped saying what a wonderful forum CT is in their official reports, like the magazine? They used to much it a lot before they got their Facebook and Twitter accounts up and running.

brue replied on 23/02/2018 18:49

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:49

An alternative, if you think you know who started a thread is to look at "discussions" in their profile, this lists all the thread started by individuals.

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2018 19:06

Posted on 23/02/2018 19:06

Had a look Brue and thanks.  Funnily enough Pippah45 mentions her old thread on the first page.

Your suggestion of looking at discussions in profile could well lead to RSI of the finger.laughing

Still doesn't solve the problem of the efficacy of the Search Engine.

brue replied on 23/02/2018 19:07

Posted on 23/02/2018 19:07

No it just points to the ingenuity of members in making things work versus the IT team who don't make things work !! wink

replied on 23/02/2018 19:08

Posted on 23/02/2018 18:41 by Wherenext

Thanks, ET, but it wasn't this one I was looking for. I think Pippah started it a while ago, maybe on the old forum, but it was a general thing as opposed to a specific service station. 

This still begs the question as to why putting in Motorway Service Stations didn't produce this thread, at least on the first 2 pages that I looked at. At least your link does actually have the relevant wording in but what have A Frame weights etc. got to do with the subject being searched for?

Posted on 23/02/2018 19:08

I always use google to search for forum posts - adding the words 'caravan club' and / or 'club together' as forum search is indeed useless.  wink

DavidKlyne replied on 23/02/2018 20:34

Posted on 23/02/2018 20:34

You might be surprised to learn that this is not the only website where the search facility leaves a lot to be desired. My former companies website is exactly the same. Personally I would use Google rather than the search facility here.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook