SatNav for Motorhome (Chausson)

svdl replied on 20/12/2017 18:27

Posted on 20/12/2017 18:27

own a Chausson 660 Fiat base Motorhome 2017 build. Comes with integral SatNav within entertainment system. This is standard motor vehicle Sat Nav, so can end up driving onto difficult roads, narrow, no go etc. Want to source software to load for Motorhomes or even light lorry sized vehicles. Anyone got experience and guide?

maybe I need to purchase a portable SatNav product like Garmin or other that offers this functionality, any recommendations? I understand you enter Motorhome dimensions and weight. It then keeps you clear from difficult roads.

peedee replied on 21/12/2017 07:10

Posted on 21/12/2017 07:10

If it is possible to load Sat Nav software onto your built in Sat Nav, you would need to know the operating system. It may be proprietary, in which case you stand no chance and will have to buy a stand alone system. The only suppliers I know are who produce sofware for the larger vehicle are >Co-Pilot< and >MapFactor< but only for mainstream operating systems. I use Co-Pilot Truck running on a 7 inch Samsung Tablet and have found it easy to use and reliable. They also do a caravan version which I notice is currently on offer at £34.99

peedee

chasncath replied on 23/12/2017 23:24

Posted on 23/12/2017 23:24

Another vote for Copilot on a Samsung.

peedee replied on 17/01/2018 20:14

Posted on 17/01/2018 20:14

What version of Co-pilot do you have Chasncath? I have just been trying out the caravan version comparing it with tbe truck version and thought I would pass on my views. The Caravan version is a quarter of the price of the truck version and an initial check reveals little difference but in practise there is. The first thing that strikes you is the user interfaces are different and the caravan version has caravan sites already preloaded. You can easily get used to the interfaces although I think the truck version is easier to use and you can load your own POIs to both quite easily.

In running test, with identical parameters set, they are both as good with providing a route and the spoken directions are identical but that is where the similarity ends. The display of directions on the truck  version is far more detailed and easier to follow and I thought resulted in less chance of going wrong.

In spite of the higher cost, I would still go for the truck version but I guess if you are happy to rely on directions only tben the caravan version would be fine.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook