Prepaid Card for Europe

LUNAR Q replied on 06/03/2023 15:21

Posted on 06/03/2023 15:21

We are travelling to Europe later this year on a tour of Spain & Portugal & don't wish to take too much cash with us.

We have looked at prepaid cards, but have found that a large number of petrol stations will not accept these.

As many of you in the club have probably done this many times, we would welcome advise on the best way to go about this.

Many thanks for your advice.

Pat

GTrimmer replied on 06/03/2023 15:32

Posted on 06/03/2023 15:32

We don't use a pre paid card, but find that the Halifax 'Clarity' card to be brilliant . No charges for purchases ,but of course interest charged on cash withdrawals.  It's widely accepted across France, and almost certainly in Spain and Portugal - we've used it in Sri Lanka !

eribaMotters replied on 06/03/2023 15:39

Posted on 06/03/2023 15:39

When away for a month we typically take about 600 Euros. In the months leading up to the holiday we watch the exchange rates and but when things look good.

The rest of our outgoings are covered by Credit Card. When we get home we have usually found that the favourable exchange rate has been enough to cover the credit card handling charge fees of 2.5% I think.

I'm guessing most folk take a similar approach, with a few lucky ones having Credit Card accounts that do not have a handling charge for when abroad.

Colin

Rufs replied on 06/03/2023 15:49

Posted on 06/03/2023 15:49

Lots of banks in the UK have credit cards whereby you pay no fees to withdraw cash from local cash machines, pay in euro's for fuel etc, and these types of credit cards are widely accepted within the EU e.g. Barclays Reward, Nationwide have a similar card, no need to carry lots of cash, we usually carry €50 each.

Tammygirl replied on 06/03/2023 16:22

Posted on 06/03/2023 16:22

We tend to have a belts and braces approach when away abroad. 

We each carry a Credit card (from different banks)

We each have a Caxton pre paid card, again separate accounts. 

One of us carries a Debit card from our Nationwide account. 

Our approach is Caxton is used for purchases, eating out and cash withdrawals, CC is used for fuel and site fees.

The debit card is just a backup should we need it. None of our cards have charges.

If you get a prepaid card don't use it for tolls or fuel buying as it will automatically holds a charge of around 99 euros for a few days until the actual amount comes off the card.

We like the Caxton and have had it for years, we watch the exchange rates over the year and when the rates are favourable we put some money on the card, by the time we go away its usually enough to see us through the holiday. 

InaD replied on 06/03/2023 16:29

Posted on 06/03/2023 16:29

We've got a Barclaycard Rewards card.  No fees for using cash machines, and no interest charges providing the amount is paid in full at the end of the month.  No fees for buying anything, fuel, supermarkets etc.

We do carry a small amount of cash always, useful at times.

Have used it in France and Cyprus up to now, with no problems whatsoever.

ValDa replied on 07/03/2023 08:30

Posted on 06/03/2023 15:39 by eribaMotters

When away for a month we typically take about 600 Euros. In the months leading up to the holiday we watch the exchange rates and but when things look good.

The rest of our outgoings are covered by Credit Card. When we get home we have usually found that the favourable exchange rate has been enough to cover the credit card handling charge fees of 2.5% I think.

I'm guessing most folk take a similar approach, with a few lucky ones having Credit Card accounts that do not have a handling charge for when abroad.

Colin

Posted on 07/03/2023 08:30

We are in that fortunate positiion, with a couple of credit cards which don't charge a fee, and we also have a Metrobank account - which is easy to set up, costs nothing, and debit card withdrawals are not charged a fee or a conversion charge.  We take very little cash these days, just enough to cover the cost of a bit of market spending, or coffees.  Fuel and supermarket shopping go on the credit card which we pay off completely each month - so no interest payments.

A lot of people now use 'virtual' banks like Wise, Starling, Monzo, etc.  Given that most banks now no longer have a presence on the high street, Metrobank is one of the few real banks where I can pop in and ask questions, get a new card, etc.

commeyras replied on 07/03/2023 09:26

Posted on 07/03/2023 09:26

Like all above we have a card which does not charge for purchases and we find that we use very little cash as the card is widely accepted.  There are a few sites (not many at all) that want cash especially for just a one night stay or if using ACSI. It is advisable to have a second card as last year we found that a couple of motorway toll booths in Italy did not accept my first card but did accept another card!  As you are probably aware, ensure that the payment is in Euros (or other currency if applicable) and not sterling.  

iansoady replied on 07/03/2023 09:43

Posted on 07/03/2023 09:43

Agree with much of what is said above. I've never seen the point in a prepaid card when fee-free credit and debit cards are widely available. In our case Halifax Clarity and Santander Zero credit cards; Nationwide debit card.

SteveL replied on 07/03/2023 10:22

Posted on 07/03/2023 10:22

As you are probably aware, ensure that the payment is in Euros (or other currency if applicable) and not sterling.

Even that varies, particularly if the exchange rate is falling. I accidentally pressed the pay in GBP button in one French Supermarket we were in and the exchange rate worked out slightly better than another purchase made in euros on the same day. That of course took a couple of days until the exchange rate was applied, and by then it had fallen. Even without that, there would not have been much in it.  I was lucky with that supermarket though, some rates for using GBP are akin to robbery.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook