New Tow Car

garyjaym replied on 16/02/2021 14:36

Posted on 16/02/2021 14:36

Hi Everyone. Hope everyone is staying safe and, as us, looking forward to getting back out touring.

We are currently, when safe to do so, thinking of changing our tow car and was wondering if there is anyone out there who has a Swift Quatro FB caravan (2020) who could give us some ideas of what vehicles they use.

Thanks.

flatcoat replied on 16/02/2021 16:29

Posted on 16/02/2021 16:29

I used to tow its close relative the Quattro EW plated to 1800kg. The short obtuse answer is i towed with a car that was legal to tow it with. However my guess is there will not be that many Quattro owners (Swift or Audi....) on this forum so i suggest you need to set out a few thoughts on what you need in a tow vehicle. Budget £££? Petrol or diesel or hybrid? Manual or auto? Saloon, estate, convertible (yes, they can tow) or soft or full fat SUV? 2wd or 4wd? And so on. I towed with a Passat Alltrack diesel estate auto at around 100%, perfectly safe including long trips into EUland. I know at 100% weight match some will go running for the smelling salts but it was legal and steady. Now that Swift Talk is closed you might also be as well to go onto the tow car and Swift sections of Caravan Talk forum too. Good luck deciding...

Simon100 replied on 16/02/2021 20:09

Posted on 16/02/2021 20:09

As you are likely to spend more time driving solo rather than towing, identify a car that you like firstly and work out of it is a good tow car secondly.

As stated above do you want a saloon, SUV, estate, diesel, petrol, particular make, new, old etc. What is your budget?

Without this information your parameters are just too wide for a meaningful suggestion.

garyjaym replied on 17/02/2021 12:24

Posted on 16/02/2021 20:09 by Simon100

As you are likely to spend more time driving solo rather than towing, identify a car that you like firstly and work out of it is a good tow car secondly.

As stated above do you want a saloon, SUV, estate, diesel, petrol, particular make, new, old etc. What is your budget?

Without this information your parameters are just too wide for a meaningful suggestion.

Posted on 17/02/2021 12:24

I was only asking for members who have our model of caravan or something similar to tell us what they use to tow their outfit to give us some ideas on a potential future tow car. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook