Motorhome, camper help to choose

ZoesMa replied on 06/06/2020 17:18

Posted on 06/06/2020 17:18

Good afternoon,all

We are after some help, advice please.

We are hoping to change from caravan to small motorhome, camper.

Requirements,length 6m max width(ideally shorter look to fit in space of 3m between walls. Tricky access so the shorter the better.

3seat belts ,LPG gas refill system.cruise control.parking sensors.

H/c water,loo and shower,window blinds,side door fly screens.

Microwave would be gt, but oven not necessary, roll out awning would be good!

Now we want a fridge that works on the gas and electric.(not only leisure battery)

Wow ,big list eh! preferably under 30000miles and budget of £40.000

We are living in Devon , any recommendations? 

Tinwheeler replied on 06/06/2020 17:32

Posted on 06/06/2020 17:32

With a max 6m length you will probably be looking at a panel van conversion. 

Most tend to be over 6m but quite a few are exactly 6m, as is our Auto Sleeper Warwick Duo. The AS Symbol is 6.5m and VW based vans tend to be around 5.3. It depends largely on your choice of layout which you go for. Most have the majority, or all, of your requirements.

I suggest you get yourself to some dealerships for a browse of their forecourts and you have the choice of quite a few in Devon and Somerset. Be aware though that some are only open for viewing by appointment at this time.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/06/2020 18:51

Posted on 06/06/2020 17:32 by Tinwheeler

With a max 6m length you will probably be looking at a panel van conversion. 

Most tend to be over 6m but quite a few are exactly 6m, as is our Auto Sleeper Warwick Duo. The AS Symbol is 6.5m and VW based vans tend to be around 5.3. It depends largely on your choice of layout which you go for. Most have the majority, or all, of your requirements.

I suggest you get yourself to some dealerships for a browse of their forecourts and you have the choice of quite a few in Devon and Somerset. Be aware though that some are only open for viewing by appointment at this time.

Posted on 06/06/2020 18:51

Sorry, I made a typo. The Symbol is 5.5m long.

cyberyacht replied on 07/06/2020 06:52

Posted on 07/06/2020 06:52

The Elddis Accordo/ Marquis Majestic range of motorhomes have several models at 6M and only 2.14M wide and have all your requirements except the refill system. Purchase of a Safefill/ Gaslow/Gasit cylinder will address that issue. A reasonable number of two/three year old models within your budget should be revealed with a Google search.

Thornsett replied on 08/06/2020 08:40

Posted on 08/06/2020 08:40

My Hymer 504 has everything you want except the microwave. It was built on a 3m wheelbase so has an excellent turning circle. Coach style wing mirrors clear my garden wall, as do Mercedes Benz mirrors; Fiat Ducatos & Peugeots do not. Over the years Hymer have done a range of small A-class motorhomes with the narrowest being c2.2m plus wing mirrors - mine stick out 20cm each side. 

I'd look at Panel Van Conversions to meet most of your needs - especially with David Klyne's comment about exiting in mind. Adria do some cracking PVCs at 6m. They used to do a shorter one but its not on the website now.

Or find a storage yard which will significantly widen your options.

eurortraveller replied on 13/06/2020 08:55

Posted on 13/06/2020 08:55

ZoesMa,  as you live in Devon I suggest a visit to the Murvi company at Lee Mill Ivybridge - or at least look on line at their range and see if they have something you are looking for.

Mr OrangeTree replied on 19/06/2020 15:48

Posted on 19/06/2020 15:48

Our first motorhome was an Autosleeper Nuevo - which is just 5.4 metres long.  

We found it well fitted out, too, although I am not sure about the LPG gas refill system. 

no one replied on 19/06/2020 17:00

Posted on 19/06/2020 17:00

If you be careful you could go a bit older with the van, when compact meant compact.

mine in picture is 5.25 M long has all of the bits you mention apart from Microwave (don't see the point) refillable gas (there is nowhere to fill it where I live) and fixed awning.

its a 4 person with 4 seatbelts although the rear belts are lap style so you would need to look a bit further to find modern safety standard

So don't be afraid to look for an older well kept Motorhome or campervan and for 8x what I paid you should find something nice.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook