Changing Quoted Text

Wherenext replied on 11/02/2018 21:34

Posted on 11/02/2018 21:34

I recently noticed that when a member recently quoted another member, the quotation staying in the grey box, that the text was different from the original. I didn't think this was possible but is it?

I know that copied text can be amended, but obviously shouldn't be, but was very surprised to see the above. I hasten to add that the context of the quote wasn't affected, so can see no reason to suppose that the replying member would gain anything by being able to change it, but am left puzzled.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/02/2018 21:53

Posted on 11/02/2018 21:34 by Wherenext

I recently noticed that when a member recently quoted another member, the quotation staying in the grey box, that the text was different from the original. I didn't think this was possible but is it?

I know that copied text can be amended, but obviously shouldn't be, but was very surprised to see the above. I hasten to add that the context of the quote wasn't affected, so can see no reason to suppose that the replying member would gain anything by being able to change it, but am left puzzled.

Posted on 11/02/2018 21:53

Try as I might I can’t alter your quoted post in any way, WN.

What happened to me once was that I edited my post but, in the time it took me to do that, someone quoted and replied to my original post with the result that the original and the quoted posts were different. I wonder if that's what happened in the case you refer to.

Wherenext replied on 11/02/2018 22:00

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:00

No, TW. I can promise you that the quoted text was from one member and the reply from another. Saw it twice, same member replying but two different members who were quoted. Just wondered whether anything like predictive text can alter a quoted text but the outcome of both quotes was to reduce or even miss out some section of text. 

InaD replied on 11/02/2018 22:08

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:08

Before the "revamp" it was possible to change text within a quoted text, but AFAIK not since then.

Must admit that I found that quite useful, when replying to a long post, so that it was obvious which bit of a post was being referred to.

Wherenext replied on 11/02/2018 22:14

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:08 by InaD

Before the "revamp" it was possible to change text within a quoted text, but AFAIK not since then.

Must admit that I found that quite useful, when replying to a long post, so that it was obvious which bit of a post was being referred to.

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:14

Ina, I'm talking about changing something in the above quoted grey box not copying part of a text and then pasting it. Are you talking about the same thing, ie changing text in the grey box?

InaD replied on 11/02/2018 22:19

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:14 by Wherenext

Ina, I'm talking about changing something in the above quoted grey box not copying part of a text and then pasting it. Are you talking about the same thing, ie changing text in the grey box?

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:19

Yes, I am.  You used to be able to click the "quote" button, then you could delete text from the quote. I found that very useful, particularly in the case of a long post, as it meant my reply post, together with the quoted part, didn't fill half a page in some cases!

Tinwheeler replied on 11/02/2018 22:24

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:19 by InaD

Yes, I am.  You used to be able to click the "quote" button, then you could delete text from the quote. I found that very useful, particularly in the case of a long post, as it meant my reply post, together with the quoted part, didn't fill half a page in some cases!

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:24

You're right, Ina, and it was stopped when the site was relaunched due to people being misquoted by the quote being altered.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/02/2018 22:26

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:00 by Wherenext

No, TW. I can promise you that the quoted text was from one member and the reply from another. Saw it twice, same member replying but two different members who were quoted. Just wondered whether anything like predictive text can alter a quoted text but the outcome of both quotes was to reduce or even miss out some section of text. 

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:26

Sorry, you've completely lost me. frown

Surely the quoted text is bound to be from a different poster than the one who replies? 

InaD replied on 11/02/2018 22:29

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:24 by Tinwheeler

You're right, Ina, and it was stopped when the site was relaunched due to people being misquoted by the quote being altered.

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:29

Yes, unfortunately, at times, it wasn't being used correctly, and was open to abuse.  Using it in the right way I still maintain it was useful.

Wherenext replied on 11/02/2018 22:31

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:31

Sorry, TW. 

On 2 separate occasions I have seen quoted texts change from the original. The first time the text actually changed. It was a very short sentence that became shorter and a new word was introduced.

The second time was one where text was omitted. The same member was the person doing the replying.

In both occasions the meaning of the quotes were not altered by the changes. Hope this is a bit clearer.

I didn't know that you could do that on the previous forum.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/02/2018 22:55

Posted on 11/02/2018 22:55

A quote of mine was altered on the previous forum, WN, and it changed the sense of what I wrote. 

I still think the scenario I described in my first post above could explain what you saw but it’s quite a coincidence that the same poster was involved in both instances. 

Why not ask Rowena about it. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook