Advice on when to travel to Spain in Winter

Bowlingbrian replied on 15/12/2023 16:22

Posted on 15/12/2023 16:22

We;re considering going to Spain for the winter in our caravan.  We've driven through France in early January in a motorhome and would prefer to do the Santander crossing.  We'd then do the |Zaragoza route. With the 90 day rule in place when would you start a winter trip?

JimE replied on 15/12/2023 16:50

Posted on 15/12/2023 16:50

Spain can be quite chilly in January and the days are short.  We travel in late January and aim to be in our preferred area - usually starting at Alannia Costa Brava - in early February.

After a stay of two weeks or so, we then progress up the coast staying at Javea, Benicassim and finally in Roses.  Basically, we move north as the weather warms up (we hope).

We always drive down through France via the Tunnel as we are not good seafarers and the Bay of Biscay can be very rough in winter.  It is not unknown for Brittany Ferries to cancel crossings at 24/48hrs notice so you are then faced with the haul through France anyway.

We do the Zaragoza route on the way down and go back via Beziers (where my brother lives) and the A75.

We are usually away about 60 days in all.

Wherenext replied on 15/12/2023 18:04

Posted on 15/12/2023 18:04

We had a friend who decided to visit the Alhambra in Granada one January and chose a campsite nearby. He was totally unprepared for Snow and bitterly cold nights, so much so that he forfeited a weeks stay and pitch fees paid for and headed to Isla Cristina (near Portugal on the coast).

It's a long time since we wintered in Spain so I'm reluctant to pass on any advice about where to stop.

Tammygirl replied on 15/12/2023 20:53

Posted on 15/12/2023 20:53

It all depends on what kind of weather you want. 

Nice and hot to go to the beach - not January then. 

Warmer and drier than the UK, where you can have nice walks/cycle etc - maybe January in the south like Murcia/ Malaga area. 

Friends of ours always used to go out beginning of January but now chose to leave it until February as the weather seems to be more settled then. 

If it was me I would go February, March and April. Come home to Spring in the UK. 

replied on 15/12/2023 23:51

Posted on 15/12/2023 23:51

The user and all related content has been deleted

young thomas replied on 16/12/2023 08:23

Posted on 16/12/2023 08:23

Yes, we are going mid/late Feb these days...as TG says, not only is the early part of the break a bit better/consistent weather wise but having the extra time at the end into May rather than April means lots of great days to finish off...and, of course a pleasant drive back through France.

re the route, loads of advice from the well travelled posters above, but just to add that Santander is still two days drive from, say, Calpe, whereas its only three days from Caen....yet the total journey cost will be far more jsing the long crossing.

much depends on your preference of course, and with a caravan youll need sites along the way, but loads of advice here if thats what you decide.

good luck, enjoy.

replied on 16/12/2023 09:31

Posted on 16/12/2023 09:31

eurortraveller replied on 16/12/2023 09:57

Posted on 16/12/2023 09:57

I am finding January/February return flights to Malaga and back again for £32 per person. Unbelievably cheap!  That might be an answer for those who want a break out there without hauling a caravan. 

replied on 16/12/2023 10:21

Posted on 16/12/2023 09:57 by eurortraveller

I am finding January/February return flights to Malaga and back again for £32 per person. Unbelievably cheap!  That might be an answer for those who want a break out there without hauling a caravan. 

Posted on 16/12/2023 10:21

Tammygirl replied on 16/12/2023 12:05

Posted on 16/12/2023 09:57 by eurortraveller

Posted on 16/12/2023 12:05

Our MH friends have just returned from a month staying in a hotel in Benalmadena. They booked with Saga so enjoyed an all inclusive break. 

Did they enjoy it yes, would they do it again, not so sure, the jury is still out on that one. 

I do know that for me it would be a no thanks, not for a month anyway. A couple of weeks in a nice villa or apartment but not a hotel.

I much prefer the freedom of the MH, which is why we bought one. 

Strange that on a camping forum you always suggest flying. 

Tammygirl replied on 16/12/2023 12:15

Posted on 16/12/2023 09:31 by

Interesting YT, the different approaches. I hate "hanging about" here in January, waiting for the "off"; like to be home by early to mid-March - otherwise I feel I have missed the start of Spring; by May we are thinking of going over there again, so need to "save" Schengen days.

The weather in January in Spain is certainly better than the weather in Pembrokeshire at the same time. It's never really that cold here; just damp, grey, dreary: what I call "apocalyptic" weather. Winter sunshine in Spain is cheering.

Posted on 16/12/2023 12:15

This year we are trying  Lanzarote mid January for 3 weeks rather than our normal 3 weeks at the beginning of March. 

Hoping for decent weather, if it's not then we will be back to our March dates for 2025 and fly off to somewhere hot in January 2025. Far east, SA or maybe South America. Might be a cruise but one thing for sure as long as we are fit and able we don't plan to sit around here in Scotland throughout the long, cold, dark, wet miserable days of December through to end of March.

We don't fancy Spain/Portugal during these months, we prefer to go Sept to Nov. Then again April to June.

Today is grey wet and windy, roll on January 😅

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook