Accessing website on android

Sumitra replied on 29/12/2016 07:51

Posted on 29/12/2016 07:51

Why can't I do that? I used to be able to.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2016 09:26

Posted on 29/12/2016 09:26

I have been able to view the forum on my HTC Android phone. Whilst it would not be my first choice it seems reasonable viewable in landscape.

David

brue replied on 29/12/2016 09:28

Posted on 29/12/2016 09:28

I have been able to view the web site on two of our android phones (Samsung Galaxy and HTC, the experience was poor but our phones are fairly old. On my Android tablet it worked well and I could also post. The phones were read only. I've just had a new android ulephone with the latest marshmallow 6 operating system which is up to date and there is a huge improvement. I can use the site easily but have to scroll horizontally to view sections. This is disappointing and time consuming.

This is my general experience I don't know what others with android phones are finding and whether they can advise you.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2016 16:29

Posted on 29/12/2016 16:29

Brue

What I reminded myself earlier today, after my previous post,  when using my phone is that everything is compressed and whilst you can see the various sections you can't see the individual threads within unless you click on the latest thread and go from there. I would agree that is is less than what is really required. I am no expert but I wonder if the forum should be developed as an App for phones and tablets. If they were to develop an App for Windows devices it could change the whole game although I suspect the last thing IT would want is to be starting over again!!!!

David 

replied on 30/12/2016 08:22

Posted on 30/12/2016 08:22

Perfectly happy on my Tablet in landscape

brue replied on 30/12/2016 14:28

Posted on 30/12/2016 14:28

I've just been having a look at the various android operating systems with Nougat 7.1 at the top, my system is the next one down, Marshmallow 6 or slightly more. My previous phone was on the lower end of Jelly Bean ranging from 4.1-4.3. I recall the CC app requires 4.2 (I think?) So is there a now an operating system which just isn't going to work well on this web site? And due to the closure of certain support systems are people on older systems going to struggle anyway?

Apologies if this sounds a bit techie but to put it bluntly if you haven't got a reasonably up to date phone will 2017 be the year you'll need a new one and not just for CT?

ABIPete replied on 01/01/2017 14:48

Posted on 01/01/2017 14:48

I have noticed with a Samsung S4 using the built in internet viewer that images are not displayed correctly, especially member photos. But using the Chrome viewer they display OK! I have to use it in landscape to be able to view discussions properly. This also applies to a Samsung 8" tablet.

Metheven replied on 01/01/2017 14:54

Posted on 01/01/2017 14:54

Android version 6 (Marshmallow) on a 10.1" tablet, the site behaves as it should (not saying that's a good thing laughing) but it does display exactly the same as my W10 desktop, showing everything correctly in landscape mode .

brue replied on 02/01/2017 19:28

Posted on 02/01/2017 19:28

I looked in on here last night and thought I'd try Chrome on my phone since it works well on my laptop and tablet. No luck I'm afraid, still the awkward sideways scroll. 

DSB replied on 03/01/2017 02:10

Posted on 03/01/2017 02:10

I use the Android phone (Galaxy Note 4) and while it is perfectly possible to use, it doesn't give the same 'overview' that was possible with the old website/CT.

David 

brue replied on 04/01/2017 12:41

Posted on 04/01/2017 12:41

I tried my new ulephone again last night and finally managed to get CT in landscape mode. This was a huge improvement for viewing and although the sideways scrolling is not my favourite way of navigating it really worked well. Conclusion : I'm now happy with my tablet and phone on Android. My laptop is excellent for viewing and navigating on Chrome windows 10. Will now look forward to further updates to the web site.

I have appreciated the efforts and input of those who have tried various ways of navigating on Android and other devices, I hope some of these posts have been helpful to the OP and other users. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook