What is the best water system sterilizer?

carmary replied on 01/04/2019 08:33

Posted on 01/04/2019 08:33

Good morning everyone....We're just about to prepare our water system for the coming season. In the past, we've used 'milton' & been very confident the water barrel & pipes have been sterilized ,although I must admit I've been a little concerned about the possibility of a 'corrosive' substance in the water tank, even though we flush the system through several times to clear the Milton after it's 'done it's work'. Now however, we've seen a 'u tube' video suggesting PURICLEAN is the best product for this job, because it seems it clears 'a film/slime' from the pipes,which Milton won't achieve.

My question is, "what do other caravan/motorhome owners use for their systems.?" Maybe this topic has already been discussed & I'm sorry for asking but I don't always use this discussion site but know I'll get good advice when I do...so I'd appreciate a response; we will then get a general idea of what is best and more importantly how often such a procedure is carried out. Thankyou.

replied on 01/04/2019 08:44

Posted on 01/04/2019 08:44

I have been happy with Puriclean. First used it when the water system became tainted by a chemical taste on a previous van. Sorted it fine

brue replied on 01/04/2019 08:45

Posted on 01/04/2019 08:45

We had a recent thread on the topic which I can't find but the consensus was to use Puriclean which contains a non corrosive based chlorine product  (Milton is corrosive.) Although I'm reliably told by my OH that's he's recently been using a Lidl product which is much the same. It's best to check the chemical ingredients and how they react with components. Some can corrode metals or leach out a "tsp" taste in plastics etc.

Maybe someone can find the recent thread?

richardandros replied on 01/04/2019 12:30

Posted on 01/04/2019 12:30

Milton contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which, certainly, Alde warn against using in their systems because of its corrosive properties.  I assume the same applies to systems using the Truma combi-boiler. Although it's a very weak solution, over time it clearly will have a detrimental effect.

Puriclean is a much safer option.

brue replied on 01/04/2019 12:36

Posted on 01/04/2019 12:36

Just looking in as I noticed I used the wrong initials for TCP! There are notes about this "taste" on the Puriclean web site, Puriclean contains chlorine dioxide a different compound from Milton's sodium hypochlorite mentioned by R&R above. It pays to read the notes. smile

cyberyacht replied on 01/04/2019 12:51

Posted on 01/04/2019 12:51

I use puriclean although it does leave small residue of chalky like sediment. To quote Janet Webb of Morcambe & Wise fame, "it never did me any harm".

DougS replied on 03/04/2019 15:11

Posted on 03/04/2019 15:11

May be considered pedantic...

When flushing, if you have a fresh water hose, fix to shower or other tap (if possible) lead hose back to Aquaroll/container.

Circulate water round system/leave for a few hours rather than just fill and leave.

Can also use the opportunity to test water heating system to circulate hot water.

I feel flushing and circulating is far better than just fill and empty and cleans hoses too but that's just me.

Another Puriclean vote.

moulesy replied on 03/04/2019 16:39

Posted on 03/04/2019 16:39

We use Milton too, and have done everything year since we started in the van. Never had any problems (and, horror of horrors, we actually drink water straight from the van tap - well, via a glass, obviously!) surprised

baileyvanman replied on 03/04/2019 20:41

Posted on 03/04/2019 20:41

Have given our system (4 year old Lunar Clubman) the Milton treatment a couple of times but we usually buy a new 5 litre bottle of spring water from the local supermarket for drinking water then refill it on site.

Are we running any risks by not sterilizing the system more regularly, bearing in mind we usually use site facilities for washing etc, and we do change the system filters at least once a year?

Phishing replied on 03/04/2019 22:34

Posted on 03/04/2019 22:34

Used puriclean, not convinced it did much but better safe than sorry. 

The issue is the water traps built into the water system in vans being left damp when laid up. Being a bit belt and braces I always extensively flush with hot and cold before using any water. 

I also bleach the waterhog once a year and syphon it out through the hoses. 

Always drink site water from van tap, not dead yet.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook