Vuqube Satellite System

rodneya replied on 08/02/2023 17:25

Posted on 08/02/2023 17:25

Has anybody tried using one of these by putting the unit through the sun roof onto the van roof and removing it for transport. Not fixed but as a portable unit. Any ideas for the co-axial cable?

DavidKlyne replied on 08/02/2023 18:01

Posted on 08/02/2023 18:01

It looks a nifty little system. The footprint looks quite small so that might impact on the stability? It would probably be OK if there was no wind but if it was windy it might knock it off true with the satellite signal or worst still knock it over completely. The advert for it that I saw said it came with co-ax cables. If not you just need a lead with F sockets on each end. If you get one I would be interested to know how you get on with it.

David

Vulcan replied on 08/02/2023 18:45

Posted on 08/02/2023 17:25 by rodneya

Has anybody tried using one of these by putting the unit through the sun roof onto the van roof and removing it for transport. Not fixed but as a portable unit. Any ideas for the co-axial cable?

Posted on 08/02/2023 18:45

I have to ask the question, why do you want to put it on the roof if you are not fixing it to the roof.

DavidKlyne replied on 08/02/2023 21:15

Posted on 08/02/2023 18:45 by Vulcan

I have to ask the question, why do you want to put it on the roof if you are not fixing it to the roof.

Posted on 08/02/2023 21:15

Dishes like this are probably designed just to sit on the pitch but to my mind that is quite insecure given they cost about £500. It could for a better signal but given that it can be easily moved around using at ground level shouldn't be problem. We will have to await the return of the OP to understand his thinking.

David

rodneya replied on 10/02/2023 12:51

Posted on 08/02/2023 21:15 by DavidKlyne

Dishes like this are probably designed just to sit on the pitch but to my mind that is quite insecure given they cost about £500. It could for a better signal but given that it can be easily moved around using at ground level shouldn't be problem. We will have to await the return of the OP to understand his thinking.

David

Posted on 10/02/2023 12:51

I’d like it on the roof for the same reason the tv aerial is on the roof. We already have a Cytrax automatic satellite dish which was on a previous van. Next time we change the van we don’t want the hassle of trekking to an installer to have it removed and then trekking back with a new van to have it re-fitted. When it is not in use it can be removed and stored out of the weather. Additionally an £875 unit with a carrying handle sitting in front of the van might be vulnerable 

peedee replied on 10/02/2023 13:43

Posted on 10/02/2023 13:43

I'm a great believer of satellite dishes, I understand how they work and they are simple. If it was me trying to avoid swapping set ups I would go for a free standing satellite dish on a tripod. A 60 to 85 cm dish would be a much more flexible set up and I suspect would give a more reliable signal.

peedee

peedee replied on 10/02/2023 13:54

Posted on 10/02/2023 13:54

Just looked at the specifications of this Maxview product. Its a 35cma dish enclosed in a dome. They do claim it has the performance of a 50cm dish but even if true, it will not be as good as having a 60 to 85 cm dish especially the latter.

peedee

Trini replied on 14/02/2023 17:03

Posted on 14/02/2023 17:03

We have the old Cosmos automatic satellite dish which we leave outside on the pitch with a cable to lock it to the caravan chassis and so far after 7 years its never been touched and we use both big sites and CLs.

It saves me a lot of messing around in setting up.

rodneya replied on 12/03/2023 09:12

Posted on 12/03/2023 09:12

We tried out the satellite dome and it works fine.  The two co-axial cables exit a locker over the fridge onto the roof through a plastic gland housing.  When not in use they connect to a bracket with dummy connectors to keep them tidy and weatherproof.  The dome fits through the sun roof and sits on its rubber feet.

One of the co-axial cables has a small control box attached which supplies 12v to the dome through the same cable and tv signal to the receiver, the other cable provides a second tv signal direct from dome to receiver.  The over fridge locker also houses the satellite receiver from home which has a HDMI cable to the tv.

The only problem was when I removed the dome to travel home it had to be manoeuvred through the sun roof and I didn’t notice a little rainwater had collected in some of the dome fabrications

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook