Vehicle Tax

vbfg replied on 22/06/2023 06:28

Posted on 22/06/2023 06:28

I always sorn my M/H in the winter months and this year, was unable to use the van, for various reasons until June.  I retaxed the van at 9.46 AM via the internet the morning of 5th June and set off around 90 minutes later for Kendal. 

Yesterday I received notification that I was being fined £439 as my van was spotted at 11.54 AM on 5th June and wasn't taxed!  Luckily, I had received an e-mail verifying my transaction and that the payment had been processed and giving me a reference number.  I am very annoyed about this.  As the transaction taxes the vehicle right away, I cannot understand why the DVLA's computer appears not to know that the vehicle was already taxed.  I have filled in the appeal on the back of the notification of the penalty's form and notified them of the reference number of the transaction and sent them a very irate letter.  I was wondereing if anyone else has had this problem?

peedee replied on 22/06/2023 06:43

Posted on 22/06/2023 06:43

Treat it as a lesson learnt and tax it at least a day in advance of wanting to use it.

peedee

Bakers2 replied on 22/06/2023 07:18

Posted on 22/06/2023 07:18

Oh boy reading your post took me back many many years.

I did a few years in the County Council on vehicle licensing. Including untaxed reports.

In those days if vehicles were taxed at the public counter, in person, there was a date stamp with the time for just this occasion. Or more particularly those stopped and paying after the event.

Keep your email and continue discussions. You should be fine. 

Additional unwanted stress but that's progress for you. Old days you'd have had a physical disc to display 😉

Whittakerr replied on 22/06/2023 07:50

Posted on 22/06/2023 07:50

Why leave taxing your vehicle to the last minute? As peedee says next time tax it a day or two earlier and avoid the  problem.

vbfg replied on 22/06/2023 08:52

Posted on 22/06/2023 07:50 by Whittakerr

Why leave taxing your vehicle to the last minute? As peedee says next time tax it a day or two earlier and avoid the  problem.

Posted on 22/06/2023 08:52

I will give myself 5 black marks for being a naughty girl! I don't usually tax it until nearer to when I am due to go away (although not as late as the same day), because, sometimes there is a problem so I can't go - but in this case, I simply forgot until the day before and I was tied up with other things so waited until the next morning.  That being said, if the DVLA send an e-mail  within 3 minutes of my taxing the M/H, to verify that I have done so and that they have taken the payment, then surely one would assume that it was now on their system and as the penalty letter was dated the 21 June, they should definitely have known by then.  If it is not almost instantaneous, they should advise people that, that is the case.  In future, I will take your and Peedee's advice and tax it a few days prior to using it.

vbfg replied on 22/06/2023 09:03

Posted on 22/06/2023 07:18 by Bakers2

Oh boy reading your post took me back many many years.

I did a few years in the County Council on vehicle licensing. Including untaxed reports.

In those days if vehicles were taxed at the public counter, in person, there was a date stamp with the time for just this occasion. Or more particularly those stopped and paying after the event.

Keep your email and continue discussions. You should be fine. 

Additional unwanted stress but that's progress for you. Old days you'd have had a physical disc to display 😉

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:03

It is not something that had occurred to me before, but of course there would have been people who tried to get round being penalised, by taxing their vehicle after they have been caught, so the date and time would have to have been stamped to stop them doing so.  I did keep the e-mail - I am a bit paranoid about keeping things like that, but I object to the DVLA inferring that  I had committed an offence.  I didn't agree with doing away with tax discs and from listening to the news and reading the papers there are numerous people who don't tax t(or insure or MOT) their vehicles but drive around anyway and one wonders how they get away with it!

DavidKlyne replied on 22/06/2023 09:10

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:10

I wonder if its a case of systems not updating the information until over night on the day of taxation, this would explain why you got the penalty notice? I would be surprised if the notice wasn't rescinded when you provide the information. There is an App called Vehicle Smart which you can use to see if a vehicle is taxed, so in your case you would have been able to see the tax status of the vehicle on the day of departure. 

David

EmilysDad replied on 22/06/2023 09:24

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:03 by vbfg

It is not something that had occurred to me before, but of course there would have been people who tried to get round being penalised, by taxing their vehicle after they have been caught, so the date and time would have to have been stamped to stop them doing so.  I did keep the e-mail - I am a bit paranoid about keeping things like that, but I object to the DVLA inferring that  I had committed an offence.  I didn't agree with doing away with tax discs and from listening to the news and reading the papers there are numerous people who don't tax t(or insure or MOT) their vehicles but drive around anyway and one wonders how they get away with it!

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:24

.... there are numerous people who don't tax t(or insure or MOT)

in the case of MOT it would seem that you can drive almost all year without MOT & not get caught. A few years back, a car of ours was without MOT for about 10 months purely due to an oversight ..... It was only when the system wouldn't let me tax it that I realised. 😳

vbfg replied on 22/06/2023 09:49

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:24 by EmilysDad

.... there are numerous people who don't tax t(or insure or MOT)

in the case of MOT it would seem that you can drive almost all year without MOT & not get caught. A few years back, a car of ours was without MOT for about 10 months purely due to an oversight ..... It was only when the system wouldn't let me tax it that I realised. 😳

Posted on 22/06/2023 09:49

So you get 5 black marks and are a naughty boy as well! But your lack of MOT was an oversight, not something which you did purposely and fortunately, many garages now notify you if your MOT is due.  Unfortunately, however, many people have no intention of paying anything to keep their vehicle on the road and those of us who do pay, end up paying for those who don't.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook