Van conversion

armourer replied on 28/07/2020 18:45

Posted on 28/07/2020 18:45

anyone put rear windows into a panel van?

i have bought a 2019 citroen dispatch and want to install windows into the 2 sliding doors

any rules or regulations i should know about ?

i believe to put rear seats in requires a certificate from the seat manufacturer 

anything like this for windows ?

Jim Day replied on 28/07/2020 23:38

Posted on 28/07/2020 23:38

No regulations regarding windows that I’m aware of I’ve put side windows in my VW T5 Transportet  also fitted a double bench seat in the rear just informed DVLA of the changes to the amount of seating & the fact I’ve fitted the windows plus inform your insurance company our T5 is now more or less a day van but still classed as a van with windows as they’ve recently changed the way the class converted panel vans no longer can you convert a standard van to a camper & have it really classified as a camper / Motorhome 

allanandjean replied on 29/07/2020 07:37

Posted on 29/07/2020 07:37

Hi armourer, Cant answer your question but right at the start of lockdown I was curious about van conversions as a way of getting a van that was usable for day to day use but could be a weekend van should we want to get away without the caravan.

I was amazed at the amount of info that a couple of google searches threw up and theses led to the viewi ng of quite a few youtube clips, so the answer is probably out there.

Re Jims comment, two of my nephews both have T5 vans, both with removable second row of seats and one thing they have said is that on their many visits to St Ives they can park easily, that's a comparative term when it comes to St Ives in the summer, as its a van and not a MH which are not allowed in many car parks overnight.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook