Travelling to Crystal Palace Site

Kelteglow replied on 27/01/2023 15:55

Posted on 27/01/2023 15:55

Hi Can anyone give me an idea when iwould be  the best time to Travel towing my Caravan from Reading to Crystal Palace and maybe advice on the best route. Thanks Bob

Arch replied on 27/01/2023 16:14

Posted on 27/01/2023 16:14

M25, A23 to Stretham common A214 to Crystal Palace then onto the site you will pass the site on your right but a few yards on there is a large roundabout to turn back, we have normally gone on a Sunday

DavidKlyne replied on 27/01/2023 17:01

Posted on 27/01/2023 15:55 by Kelteglow

Hi Can anyone give me an idea when iwould be  the best time to Travel towing my Caravan from Reading to Crystal Palace and maybe advice on the best route. Thanks Bob

Posted on 27/01/2023 17:01

The usual advice is to follow the instructions issued by the Club in the Site Directory or on the website. I tend to agree with Arch that travelling on  a Sunday tends to be better than during the week. London roads are never quiet during the day but a bit more comfortable on a Sunday.

David

Arch replied on 27/01/2023 17:23

Posted on 27/01/2023 17:01 by DavidKlyne

The usual advice is to follow the instructions issued by the Club in the Site Directory or on the website. I tend to agree with Arch that travelling on  a Sunday tends to be better than during the week. London roads are never quiet during the day but a bit more comfortable on a Sunday.

David

Posted on 27/01/2023 17:23

I followed the club recommended route using the south circular once I wouldn't do it again it's very busy with lots of lane changing, another thing check your route for the congestion charges its been a while since we were there.

Graydjames replied on 27/01/2023 17:37

Posted on 27/01/2023 17:37

When I went to Crystal Palace (from Leicester) I took the M25 to the M4 and went into London on the M4. From Reading obviously you too would be on the M4. I then took the South Circular road (A205) at Chiswick and followed this all the way (it's a long way) until the Club directions cut in:

... on A205 (south circular) go past Dulwich College on right continue onwards for 0.5 mile to the traffic lights with the Grove Pub on the left. Turn right at these lights for 360 metres, then turn right again at the next set of traffic lights onto Sydenham Hill road. Go up the hill to the mini roundabout and turn right again still on Sydenham Hill Road. After 1 mile at the mini roundabout the site entrance will be straight ahead. 

However, I found this tortuous even in a motorhome and, frankly, it has stopped me going back to this otherwise great site. I certainly wouldn't fancy it towing a caravan. But there will be the usual suspects who say it is a cinch.

I would recommend Arch's route above. It is a heck of a long way around the M25, but all in all I reckon it has to be better.   

PS Definitely a Sunday trip.

Fozzie replied on 27/01/2023 18:46

Posted on 27/01/2023 18:46

We came in via the Club's handbook directions,and when you leave the A2 onto the South Circular you only have 8 miles odd of "london driving".If I remember there are two pinch points one at Hither Green bridge and at the Catford one way system,this is the one where you need to change lanes,another point to watch is when you join the Sydenham Road after  Catford Bridge there are long sections of 20mph zones with speed camera's.

This does make it easier for caravanners but the whizz kids doing their diliveroos rounds on mopeds do swerve around you,and squeeze through at traffic lights. 

I have probably made this sound much worse than it really is,I would have no issues using CP ,just plan your time out of the rush hour and yes Saturday and Sunday will be easier.

brue replied on 29/01/2023 15:50

Posted on 27/01/2023 16:14 by Arch

M25, A23 to Stretham common A214 to Crystal Palace then onto the site you will pass the site on your right but a few yards on there is a large roundabout to turn back, we have normally gone on a Sunday

Posted on 29/01/2023 15:50

We have friends in Streatham and use this route from the SW with a car so would do the same with any other vehicle (would now have to check emission zones with the motorhome...)

Kelteglow replied on 30/01/2023 09:57

Posted on 30/01/2023 09:57

Thanks I will as suggested travel on a Sunday The route as in the handbook .Bob

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook