Towing a small automatic car

777 replied on 26/07/2021 16:08

Posted on 26/07/2021 16:08

We will be switching to a motorhome later in the year, and I have been looking at some small second hand cars for sale, already fitted with an A frame. I notice a few are automatic (Suzuki Alto, Toyota Aygo type), but thought automatic cars should not be towed. Happy to have either, but would appreciate advice, auto OK for towing? Ta in advance.

DaveCyn replied on 26/07/2021 16:20

Posted on 26/07/2021 16:20

If it has to be an automatic you'll need a trailer to carry it on.

I don't know of any automatic that is safe for towing more than a very short distance. Others may know otherwise.

eribaMotters replied on 26/07/2021 16:43

Posted on 26/07/2021 16:43

All I can say is if you end up with an older Toyota Aygo, which as above would have to be a manual, you will not be upset. We owned a 57 plate from new through to 2014 and it was near faultless in those 7 years. A glovebox clip broke and water pump wept slightly, both fixed under warranty.

Colin

EmilysDad replied on 26/07/2021 16:55

Posted on 26/07/2021 16:55

Despite what Mercedes will tell you, a Smart can  be towed because its an automated manual .... I've towed 2 different 451 Smarts over considerably long distances on an A frame.  Just ensure they're in neutral. 

But as you suggest, some autos use a torque converter gearbox & can only be towed short distance at relatively low speeds. You need to find out what flavour of gearbox is fitted to your intended towed car.

777 replied on 26/07/2021 18:45

Posted on 26/07/2021 18:45

Thanks for the info. To be honest, I would prefer a manual gearbox on a small car. Ref the Aygo, my daughter had the equivalent Peugeot 107, and it was great - economical and reliable. I think we will look for a Citroen C1, Aygo, P107 - ideal.  I think the Smart may be a bit too small for us, but you have cleared up the auto situation.

peedee replied on 28/07/2021 11:54

Posted on 28/07/2021 11:54

Check what the handbook says. I have an automatic Suzuki Celerio with a Towbars2Tow  A-Frame and have towed it hundreds of miles in the 5 years of ownership. The handbook even tells you how to tow  behind a motorhome. Towbars2Tow sells second hand cars already fitted with A-Frames and will advise you.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook