South west water

malc1945 replied on 21/06/2024 20:57

Posted on 21/06/2024 20:57

Just seen where a member is at hill head and only found out that there is still a problem with water supply.we are due ther in 5 weeks yet no mention from site or club that it was still a problem surely with the club having all our contract details we could have been informed that it is still on going I’m just a bit concerned how it will affect our holiday adding extra problems like having to boil all water not using site water for cooking also we booked because of the swimming pool for granddaughter is this now closed 

DavidKlyne replied on 21/06/2024 21:12

Posted on 21/06/2024 21:12

On the Before you Travel section they do note the following:-

Hillhead Club Campsite

There is currently an outbreak of Cryptosporidium in the Brixham area. The Hillhead site is open as usual and the site team is following guidelines from South West Water.

If you need a site with a swimming pool have you thought about changing to Looe? 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 21/06/2024 21:12

Posted on 21/06/2024 21:12

SWW have cleared part of the network but the Hillhead area is still affected.

The notice is still in the 'Before you travel' info on this site. Maybe you could ring the club or the site if you need any further info.

Ooops, cross posted!

joanie replied on 22/06/2024 12:53

Posted on 22/06/2024 12:53

we were there when it became public, the staff were very good issuing bottled water  and of course we boiled the water for cooking etc. What was put to me later was brushing our teeth , I don't use water for tooth brushing but I do rinse the toothbrush under the tap. Anyway , thank goodness we weren't affected by the bug, but if I was booked to go now then I would cancel. 

I believe the damaged pipe was at Hillhead in a field  and although it has been repaired, they have to flush things  through. 

eurortraveller replied on 22/06/2024 15:26

Posted on 21/06/2024 20:57 by malc1945

Just seen where a member is at hill head and only found out that there is still a problem with water supply.we are due ther in 5 weeks yet no mention from site or club that it was still a problem surely with the club having all our contract details we could have been informed that it is still on going I’m just a bit concerned how it will affect our holiday adding extra problems like having to boil all water not using site water for cooking also we booked because of the swimming pool for granddaughter is this now closed 

Posted on 22/06/2024 15:26

I love it. “We are due there in five weeks”. Nothing beats forward planning.

Bakers2 replied on 22/06/2024 16:14

Posted on 22/06/2024 15:26 by eurortraveller

Posted on 22/06/2024 16:14

There's now cancellation fees to be considered. 28 days not to loose money.

I think it's a very timely consideration and good to ask if others have experience of the site whilst there's been the issue. Joanie, has and has answered how she sees it.

Personally I wouldn't risk it for myself and certainly not for a grandchild. Have a holiday to remember not a nightmare to forget.....

Tinwheeler replied on 22/06/2024 16:39

Posted on 22/06/2024 15:26 by eurortraveller

Posted on 22/06/2024 16:39

It was mid-May when I started the original thread about Hillhead and still the crypto problem persists so it’s anyone's guess whether another 5 weeks will be long enough to resolve the issue. I say, if in doubt, don’t.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/hillhead-7/

You can get SWW updates here - 

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/household/help-support/in-your-area/service-updates

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook