Sergeant Stinger 310 alarm fault

dougA replied on 25/07/2020 21:14

Posted on 25/07/2020 21:14

Hi looking for help. Not been in caravan for a week and now it will not disarm.

We are off on holiday on Monday but sergeant are not open until Monday.

when pressing the disarm button on the form the red led light lights but does not disarm the alarm. I have also tried both fobs and changed the batteries in one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am unable to get caravan ready to go as alarm keeps going off when entering the caravan.

EmilysDad replied on 25/07/2020 21:55

Posted on 25/07/2020 21:55

Maybe a hard reset? 🤔 

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/AS300-310-Alarm-System/13

If the above items fail to solve the problem, then performing a hardware reset (system reboot) may help.

The unit can be reset by firstly removing the external 12v supply by unplugging the alarm power cable (or if this is not accessible, by turning the caravan battery charger off and disconnecting the leisure battery).

Next open the base unit by removing the 2 screws on the top of the unit and then removing the cross bolt using a 10mm spanner. The black lid can now be lifted upwards and placed to one side. You will now see the backup battery mounted to an aluminium carrier plate.

Located on this plate is a small switch, which is the battery isolation switch. Turn this to the off (O) position.

Wait 15 seconds for the unit to reset.

Turn the battery switch back on (I position) and then reconnect the external 12v supply.

Replace the lid and fixings.

IMHO they're not the best of alarms

dougA replied on 25/07/2020 22:25

Posted on 25/07/2020 21:55 by EmilysDad

Maybe a hard reset? 🤔 

If the above items fail to solve the problem, then performing a hardware reset (system reboot) may help.

The unit can be reset by firstly removing the external 12v supply by unplugging the alarm power cable (or if this is not accessible, by turning the caravan battery charger off and disconnecting the leisure battery).

Next open the base unit by removing the 2 screws on the top of the unit and then removing the cross bolt using a 10mm spanner. The black lid can now be lifted upwards and placed to one side. You will now see the backup battery mounted to an aluminium carrier plate.

Located on this plate is a small switch, which is the battery isolation switch. Turn this to the off (O) position.

Turn the battery switch back on (I position) and then reconnect the external 12v supply.

Posted on 25/07/2020 22:25

Hi thanks for this. I posted this message on the swift forum too as I was needing a quick reply as my alarm keeps going off. I disconnected the internal battery alarm and switched the small switch to off. The alarm keeps going off. It’s a bit late now as I’m getting funny looks from neighbours when alarm sounds at this time.

Tomorrow I’ll disconnect the internal alarm battery switch the small switch to off and this time disconnect the large white connector within the alarm and wait 15 seconds and see if this reset works. I’ll post back in the morning the outcome.

Thanks for the quick reply.

dougA replied on 26/07/2020 12:58

Posted on 25/07/2020 21:55 by EmilysDad

Maybe a hard reset? 🤔 

Posted on 26/07/2020 12:58

All fixed and working as it should.

I completed the hard reset but still not disarming. I then reprogrammed the alarm fobs and all working.

Thanks very much for your help and helping me get the caravan working.

Now looking forward to a wee break away in our caravan.

cheers 🍻

JohnM20 replied on 26/07/2020 14:46

Posted on 26/07/2020 14:46

My alarm has gone off several times over a couple of years or so. I may , though, have found the reason for this. I found that the sun was shining in through the Heki and straight on to the alarm PIR. I have now shielded the PIR by pulling out the bed slats 3 or four inches to stop direct sunlight hitting it. It seems to have worked with no false alarms over the last three months.

Coincidentally, my fobs have started to only work intermittently within the last couple of weeks. I will have to try reprogramming them if they continue to act up.

easyonthegas replied on 10/03/2022 15:12

Posted on 10/03/2022 15:12

I have had a similar problem to DougA, in that the alarm would not dis-arm. I did the suggested checks, including checking fob batteries, hard reset (switch on/off at circuit board) as well as reprogramme the fobs - see photo, but still not working.

I have had to disconnect the alarm, and send the components of back-up battery, PIR sensor, main circuit board and two fobs to Sargent for them to check it out. They will not look at the problem unless you pay their set charge (£157). Removing the alarm is fairly easy (maybe too easy??) and the wires can only fit into designated slots. Took longer to sort out the courier services for collection!!

Sargent took 2 weeks to send it back (they state 3-5 weeks), and they reported it needed a new circuit board (now red instead of the original green one). They give a 12 month warranty on their work.

https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/alarm-fixed-price-repair/242 

Note you need to switch the back-up battery back on once installed.

As the alarm is needed for insurance purposes, and a new one is £450, this makers repair is one option where you will know it is fixed and tested post repair.

Do follow the hard reset and fob reprogramming guidance first, before paying the £157 for the repair.

The service and information from Sargent was good, so hopefully a few more years of reliable service.

EmilysDad replied on 10/03/2022 18:41

Posted on 10/03/2022 18:41

Blimey! Their standard repair costs have rocketed since I sent mine to them. About 5 or 6 yrs back it was only around £60 

Snoprap replied on 31/05/2022 20:39

Posted on 31/05/2022 20:39

Hi. 

We re having the same problem with our Stinger 310.  Initially told by Stinger it was their battery which was over 6 years old at that time.  Ordered and received a new one for £51 which I installed 6 months ago but lo and behold no improvement.  I checked the old battery and it still registers 4.89v so it is still perfectly OK.  I have also replaced the batteries in the fobs and re-checked them for voltage and all are Ok too.

I am going to do another hardware reset but I am not confident this will work.  We'll see!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook