Selling due to ill health

richpboro replied on 05/05/2024 16:07

Posted on 05/05/2024 16:07

Hi there, 

I am looking for some advice.....after 40plus years of caravaning it is time to retire. So we need to sell the van and have contacted a few local dealers but no one is buying second hand stock at the moment. We dont want to sell it privately due to the hassle and stress of it being too much at the moment. 

We are looking for a reputatble company who will come and collect the van from us and pay the agreed price (we understand this will be lower than selling privately). Can anyone recomemmend anyone?

We live in Peterborough if this helps. 

Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

eurortraveller replied on 05/05/2024 16:39

Posted on 05/05/2024 16:39

If you Google. “We Buy Any Caravan” you will get a list of firms in that market who will quote if they are interested. You can get a quick sale but the price might disappoint you. If you deal with them be sure to get the cash in your bank before they take your caravan away. 

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2024 20:33

Posted on 05/05/2024 20:33

As I understand it, from watching a few YouTube videos, the secondhand caravan market has undergone a downward price adjustment recently to more realistic levels post Covid. Therefore you have to be realistic on what you might be offered. Ideally check a few dealers local to you to see if they are willing to buy. In terms of price it might be an idea to check online what your model year is selling at. From what I have seen and read it is probable that you would get about 75/80% of what a dealer would sell your van for. Whilst that might seem unattractive you would have least got rid of the caravan with the minimum of fuss and there will also be other savings like insurance an service costs moving forward. I hope you get sorted.

David

MoHoSinger replied on 06/05/2024 05:12

Posted on 06/05/2024 05:12

I collected my Hobby T500 from Chris Cooke of IKONIC KAMPERS on Friday and had a chance for a long chat with him about the state of the market as he ferried me from the train station.

He says the market for motorhomes is very slow. Normally his phone is ringing off the hook at this time of year. Not this year. Dealers are making calls to their own phones to check they are still working in case there is a problem!

Regarding caravans the market is particularly flat. He picked up an Eriba Triton which normally would be gone within a week but, so far, no interest.

I know he is out and about looking for new stock. You say nothing about what it is that you are selling - make, year, condition, etc. I suggest you give him a ring or email him. If he has any interest he will pay you a visit and offer you a price once he has viewed. He is based in North Lincolnshire so your side of the country.

Even if he declines to visit because what you are offering will not be readily saleable you will at least be better informed and will know a good offer when, later, you receive one.

https://ikonickampers.co.uk/for-sale/

I found him very straight forward to deal with and reliable. 

Chris

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook