Satnav for motorhomes

ScreenName55608EDC27 replied on 14/05/2022 11:00

Posted on 14/05/2022 11:00

Hi Everyone. New to travelling with campervan and after our initial trips, we thought it would be a good idea to invest in a satnav specifically for larger vans as our car satnav wanted to take us down single track roads. Our van is a Fiat Ducato, long wheelbase. Anyone out there with recommendations please?

Graydjames replied on 14/05/2022 11:11

Posted on 14/05/2022 11:11

I remember that there was an advertisement for a Sat Nav dedicated to motorhomes, or larger outfits generally, in the latest edition of the Club Magazine. Unfortunately, my copy has already hit the recycling bin at Wirral Country Park so I realise I am not being much help. But as a member, if you still have the magazine, you should easily find it. I seem to recall it was a full page ad, towards the back. I remember it said that you put the measurements of your van in the device and away you go. It has all the CMC sites and CLs programmed in as well. It sounded quite good and I thought about investing myself. 

Arch replied on 14/05/2022 18:15

Posted on 14/05/2022 18:15

I tow a 7.5 mtr van and use a Ohrex 7" Sat nav £66.99 from a well known online store I set it for a truck and set dimensions bigger than my total unit size I always check the route it selects and there are alternative route settings or waypoints if you wish to set your own, you will need to load your own poi,s for the various camping clubs so you will need to be tech savvy its not difficult but requires some input, especially when updating the maps. I've never been taken down any narrow lanes unwilling in my opinion having tried them its just as good as the major brands.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 14/05/2022 21:19

Posted on 14/05/2022 21:19

I am a caravanner but when coupled to the towcar we measure over 12 metres.

Navigation is therefore important and I use an Aguri 720.  

It works well though to be honest it did take some time to get to grips with its operating system but it is rare that I cannot find a campsite from its many sources (ACSI, CMC, CCC and some European sites too).

Hope this helps

hitchglitch replied on 15/05/2022 17:43

Posted on 15/05/2022 17:43

I used a Garmin with lifetime maps on my Peugeot based Motorhome. One of the problems with the Peugeot is that it is difficult to read the speedo with the raised seats of the coachbuilt and vibration making the speed indicating needle jerk around. The SatNav gave very accurate speed information plus accurate speed limits and an indication if exceeded. Now have a Merc based coachbuilt with built-in SatNav so may not need the Garmin. Also the Merc has a better positioned speedo and is far smoother on the road.

I have never found the route to be an issue but with any SatNav you need to apply common sense and map reading. Not convinced that the road data information is available that would allow different routes for large vehicles.

Arch replied on 15/05/2022 18:28

Posted on 15/05/2022 17:43 by hitchglitch

I used a Garmin with lifetime maps on my Peugeot based Motorhome. One of the problems with the Peugeot is that it is difficult to read the speedo with the raised seats of the coachbuilt and vibration making the speed indicating needle jerk around. The SatNav gave very accurate speed information plus accurate speed limits and an indication if exceeded. Now have a Merc based coachbuilt with built-in SatNav so may not need the Garmin. Also the Merc has a better positioned speedo and is far smoother on the road.

I have never found the route to be an issue but with any SatNav you need to apply common sense and map reading. Not convinced that the road data information is available that would allow different routes for large vehicles.

Posted on 15/05/2022 18:28

I have set my Ohrex up for a car and a truck it selects different routes in truck setting if needed so the data is there, I would advise you if you are buying one of the main units such as Garmin or Tom Tom to go to Halfords and request a demo, prepare by selecting a destination that you know has route options not suitable for your vehicle and know the route that is input your vehicle size adding a little more and see if it takes the correct route, I have done this plotting a route to the Slapton sands site and both failed.

Colin Dav replied on 06/06/2022 02:54

Posted on 06/06/2022 02:54

I use a Tom Tom Camper. It lets me set the vans dimensions and max speed and finds suitable routes based on those 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook