Satelite dish - are they worth it ?

Mario Brothers replied on 06/03/2012 20:39

Posted on 06/03/2012 20:39

Are satelite dishes worth the money ? Isn't caravaning about getting away from it all and leaving the TV behind, or is the TV a vital requirement to entertain the kids when the weather is bad ? If the later, are is there a need for satelite dishes or should we make do with the digital aerials that all modern vans have fitted ? Would appreciate your views, thanks. Will help settle a 'debate' :-)

Heethers replied on 13/04/2020 08:28

Posted on 13/04/2020 08:28

Its down to the individual, some hate the idea of a Television l personally like taking it with me for those rainy days. ask for satellites yes they are expensive but can give you a near perfect transmissions where the aerials cannot. Of course the sat needs an uninterrupted view of the satellite. Over the years we have had both its what you prefer, at the moment l have booked in for Satellite Dome to be fitted to the roof in late June all being well. At our time of lives we like to have the creature comforts that the industry now offer but l bet theirs plenty out their that disagree with me, as the saying goes you takes your pick and makes your choice

Heethers Keep safe all

SteveL replied on 13/04/2020 11:16

Posted on 13/04/2020 11:16

For us no. We had a dome put on the new caravan we bought in 2014. Cost circa £1200. It spent roughly half of the time we owned it ( sold the van  March 2019 ) out of service. In 2012 freeview using the caravan / MH aerial wasn't that good. However now there is good reception over much of the country, often with a 100 or more channels. Even in more remote spots with repeater masts, you get all the main ones. Last year when using the MH in this country, I put a freestanding dish in the garage in case we couldn't get freeview. Apart from a test it never came out. OK I will concede when we go to Altnahara (now next year)☹️ we will need it, plus perhaps a few other similarly remote locations.

However, overall unless you want it to access your Sky channels, I don't personally think they are worth it.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/04/2020 11:29

Posted on 13/04/2020 08:56 by young thomas

wow! an 8 year old thread has been thrown up....is this a record?undecided

Posted on 13/04/2020 11:29

The problem is that when they reconfigured the forum a few years ago they Deleted User a lot of the old replies to existing threads but left the original post. So whenever they crop up it looks as no one actually replied to the OP, they probably did but those posts were Deleted User. It would be interesting to know how or why Heethers replied. Did the post suddenly appear?

David

young thomas replied on 13/04/2020 17:00

Posted on 13/04/2020 17:00

as a sky subscriber we have choices Re our TV reception...

a Sky box and 85 cm dish gives Uk tv to the very south of France and well into Germany, and Sky Sports and Movies to the south of Spain (they are transmitted on a different 'beam')....

the Sky Go app allows for ALL subscriber channels (except BBC, for copyright reasons) anywhere in the world PROVIDED that you have a good wifi/4g signal and sufficient data to support it.

so, flexibility is good and one reason why we will keep the dish for a good while yet.

Tammygirl replied on 13/04/2020 17:43

Posted on 13/04/2020 17:43

We had an 85cm dish fitted to our MH, cost over £2000. Wish we had done it when we first bought the van, used it all over France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and even Spain once we had Intel 907 installed. 

If we were only going away in the UK I very much doubt if we would bother with satellite as digital is so easy to pick up.

Having access to a tv signal be it digital or satellite is for us something we like for those not so good days, in the short days of winter we like nothing better than coming in from a day out and watching a bit of tv in a nice warm van smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook