Retired from Motorhoming Today

DavidKlyne replied on 31/05/2024 20:07

Posted on 31/05/2024 20:07

Sad to say we have decided to call it a day on our touring activities. It’s not an altogether sudden decision as I think it’s been a few years in the making. We have had our current Bailey Alliance 66-2 since March 2019.  We both now have hip or knee problems which means its not so easy to cope with the rigours of motorhoming and even if there are surgical remedies to our issues it would mean that both or either of us could be out of touring action for between three and six months and we are not getting any younger so that was the main reason behind our decision.

Cost through lack of use is another issue. I don’t mean the price of campsites but the general cost of keeping a motorhome on the road plus the depreciation. Prices are now coming down to more realistic levels. We have sold our motorhome to the dealer we originally purchased it from. Having made the decision, we wanted it resolved as soon as possible and I did not want the potential problems of selling it privately. It was with some trepidation we set out today to White Arches Motorhomes. We had been offered a sum over the phone subject to inspection. As it turned out the amount offered was honoured and the money is now in our bank so it was far less stressful than I imagined.

What of the future? I think we will hang onto our membership for a while as we might try Experience Freedom to see if we like it. We have been on a couple of cruises and I think they will figure in our holiday plans in the future. We are also fortunate that the company we worked for has a series of Country Clubs dotted around and as pensioners we have access to those. So, I don’t think there is any lack of alternative opportunities. After caravanning and motorhoming for the best part of 45 years change was bound to happen.  

I plan to stay on the forum and contribute where I can. Not quite sure what I do about caravantravels.co.uk but the hosting is paid for the next two year so no rush on that score.

David

mickysf replied on 31/05/2024 20:11

Posted on 31/05/2024 20:11

I’m in shock, David, your contributions and advice have been most welcomed over the years you old stalwart you!😉 I wish you all the very best in the next phase of your holidaying lives.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/05/2024 20:34

Posted on 31/05/2024 20:34

It’s something that comes to us all eventually and is the reason we’ve downsized time and time again to the point of having something that’s virtually a full facility car for days out but could be used for staying in if necessary.

We looked at the Experience Freedom offerings and decided they’re not for us as they seem to offer less comfort than an LV. The C&CC have much better accommodation by way of lodges, in my opinion.

Add cottages into the mix, along with the likes of Premier Inn for breaking long journeys, and I find vanning is hardly missed at all after nigh on 50 years.

nelliethehooker replied on 31/05/2024 21:05

Posted on 31/05/2024 21:05

All the very best from me , and I hope you enjoy your future holidays as much as you did touring in your caravans and motorhomes.

InaD replied on 31/05/2024 22:11

Posted on 31/05/2024 22:11

The end of an era; I'm sorry to hear you've had to give up motorhoming and it must have been a sad day, taking it back to the dealer.  It's something we all think about from time to time no doubt, but when the time comes, it must be hard to have to face up to the fact it's no longer viable.

But as you say, there are alternatives, and I wish you both well with your future holidays and breaks.

It seems many years ago that we met on the site at Montech in France, and then at the end of that holiday finding oursleves on the next pitch to you at Bearsted!  Must be about 10 or 11 years ago now, time flies.

Freddy55 replied on 31/05/2024 23:16

Posted on 31/05/2024 23:16

Hiya David. It must have been a tough decision but no doubt you thought long and hard about it and are doing what’s right for you. At some point, no doubt I’ll have to call it a day. I wish you all the very best going forward 👍

peedee replied on 01/06/2024 07:02

Posted on 01/06/2024 07:02

A bit of a wrench but it comes to us all eventually. I am not far behind you David and I am certainly not looking forward to that day. Pleased to read you will continue to support CT, thanks, and all the best to you and Margaret for the future.

peedee

Betsyboo Too replied on 01/06/2024 07:12

Posted on 01/06/2024 07:12

Good morning David,

I am sorry to hear that health problems have brought both of you to the decision to end touring. I’m sure you will still have more adventures, just different.

I personally would like to thank you for the time & trouble you have taken both on this forum and your own website. We only started caravanning in 2018 and I have found your freely shared advice & experience invaluable. Your website in particular has been extremely helpful to us. I am aware this must take some considerable time and effort to maintain, but in no small part it gave us the confidence to broaden our horizons. Resulting in me currently writing this as I’m sat outside our caravan, enjoying a coffee on a site overlooking Lake Annecy

Glad your staying on the forum

Best wishes to you both.

Mark

joanie replied on 01/06/2024 07:41

Posted on 01/06/2024 07:41

we are looking for another ccouple of years with the caravan and then we shall probably call it a day. We didn't go out last year as we were selling our bungalow . My OH has had both his hips done and the knees are not too good , but we shall keep going as long as we can. So I can understand where you're coming from. As in all things where there is an ending there is a new beginning and things to look forward to, so as well as helping out on here you can let us know what comes after selling up and moving on . Good Luck   laughing

Takethedogalong replied on 01/06/2024 10:12

Posted on 01/06/2024 10:12

I’m sure you’ll find something you enjoy, and wish you both all the best.

We’ve had some fantastic times away in cottages and there are so many out there nowadays, of all shapes and sizes. Friends of ours have made great use of the EF glamping pods, and they do mean they can still visit a site alongside tourer owning family. The special offer prices are good, but not sure about an extended stay at full price. 

I hope any health issues get sorted enough to let you get away successfully, must be a wrench for you. We have been using our MH mainly for short stays and days out these last 18 months (carer duties), but have found it such a boon having our own little base. Hopefully we are a very long way off giving up touring at the moment, but we shall mix in a host of other things once we can.

KjellNN replied on 01/06/2024 12:32

Posted on 01/06/2024 12:32

Sorry to hear that David, but it is a decision we will all have to make eventually.

We are in year 17 of our present van, so it has served it well, and really we are only keeping it going for our daughter and family to use, getting ready and going away is becoming much more of a hassle for us these days.

I am fine, but OH has knee problems, so we are not getting out and about as much as we would like, but if the van holds together we may do another couple of years.

Best  wishes to you and Margaret, I hope you get your health issues sorted soon.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook