Recording your Travels

cyberyacht replied on 30/08/2023 09:09

Posted on 30/08/2023 09:09

In this digital age, we are no longer restricted to 36 shot film cassettes or 12 shot roll-film for the really ancient among us. Do you make comprehensive records of your travels for reminiscent purposes?

I've finally got around sorting out my backlog and have completed the  compiling of YouTube videos of my last two years principal trips to the Cairngorms and Lake Annecy. That only leaves this years trip down the west of France and round the corner into Spain to do. A job for the winter evenings perhaps.

For those that fancy a vicarious journey when there's only repeats on the TV, you can find my meanderings on my YouTube channel

peedee replied on 31/08/2023 08:21

Posted on 31/08/2023 08:21

I find making videos too time consuming, you also require good editing software. Using Polarsteps as you travel along is much easier but perhaps does not convey quite the same perspective.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 31/08/2023 09:15

Posted on 31/08/2023 09:15

I have been recording our travels on my website www.caravantravels.co.uk for the past 20 odd years, well before YouTube became the force it is today! I would agree that the digitisation of photography was a major step forward in being able to record and publish on the internet. Mind you some of the early digital cameras didn't allow the taking of that many photos but they did save the cost of old fashioned processing. I think that "static" websites like mine are now a bit old fashioned but I not sure I have the enthusiasm to learn new tricks as I get older so well done to those that make the effort?   

As for YouTube, there are some excellent content providers out there. I think our hobby lends itself to video representation. Personally didn't think I have the knowhow to stand alongside so I have left it to those more talented than me. It also seems quite time consuming depending on the quality and time required to get it half professional. I am sure CY is doing it as much for his own enjoyment, and all power to him for doing that. But some of the more prolific providers almost seem to do it for a living and there seems to be no let up in the need to constantly provide more content.

David

GTP replied on 31/08/2023 10:51

Posted on 31/08/2023 10:51

CY Wrote :- In this digital age, we are no longer restricted to 36 shot film cassettes or 12 shot roll-film for the really ancient among us. Do you make comprehensive records of your travels for reminiscent purposes?

Yes I do...both photographic and a daily travel journal .... although the latter from only a few years ago. Haven't got around to making videos ... I do have some 15 yrs + of digital photos and short burst videos of our travels. Certainly something to think about...

allanandjean replied on 31/08/2023 11:59

Posted on 31/08/2023 11:59

Hi CY, I have a lot of admiration for those, like you and DK, who manage to produce a record of their travels, either just for themselves or to share with others.

After trying to do the same with the likes of Polarsteps, Day One and a Wordpress blog I have come to the conclusion that the biggest issue is me!

The closest I have got to making a reasonable record of a trip is by posting on Instagram, and linking this to Jeans Facebook account-this confirmed to me that a photo driven effort was the way to go as my Blog commitment is erratic to put it mildly.

JohnM20 replied on 31/08/2023 12:02

Posted on 31/08/2023 12:02

I created an Excel spreadsheet which shows every caravan site that we have visited since we started caravanning in 1988. Initially this was just where it was and how many nights. As the years have gone on the amount of information has grown a lot including nightly costs, distance from home GPS reference where possible and a very brief note about the site. It also records which caravan we had at the time.

Once digital photography came about I created a hyperlink from the spreadsheet to the relevant holiday photos. On a daily basis I keep a hand written log of where we have been each day so that if we can't remember exactly where a photo was taken we can cross reference the photo date to the daily log.

It's amazing how many times we have referred to these records over the years.

cyberyacht replied on 01/09/2023 08:41

Posted on 01/09/2023 08:41

Doing the videos certainly takes a fair bit of time but it does capture the feel of the holiday in a way that stills don't. It provides a good format to be able to bore the pants off the relatives too with either a smart TV or an HDMI cable and show it on your 96" TV (other sizes are available) when they visit laughing .

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook