Quotes cannot be edited ?

TonyIshUK replied on 31/05/2017 12:57

Posted on 31/05/2017 12:57

May be raised before, but I seem to be unable to remove less salient points from a quote, to those that I would like to comment upon, when replying to a thread.

A new feature ? Or just something I have missed ?

Rgds

replied on 31/05/2017 13:08

Posted on 31/05/2017 13:08

A new feature ? Or just something I have missed ?

A new feature since change over.

moulesy replied on 31/05/2017 13:19

Posted on 31/05/2017 13:19

The only way you can do it is to copy & paste and then edit out the unwanted bits. You can the embolden and italicise the quote to make it clear it is a quote, but you do lose the information about who made the original statement which is often useful.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/05/2017 15:40

Posted on 31/05/2017 15:40

I think it's done to stop people misrepresenting others by altering their original posts. Having had that happen to me in the old CT, I'm glad it can no longer occur. 

brue replied on 31/05/2017 16:02

Posted on 31/05/2017 16:02

Me to TW, it has prevented parts of quotes being taken out of context. I sometimes pick up on someone's text but try to avoid it, I prefer to see the whole quote and who wrote it.

I recall the Community Manager said this was the reason for the change.

DavidKlyne replied on 31/05/2017 16:41

Posted on 31/05/2017 16:41

Tony

I have moved your post here as it's the right place to discuss forum usability issues.

I would agree with TW and Brue regarding the reason. It's the same with having a limited time for users to edit their own post. I can understand that you might not want to quote a very long post just to answer one part of it and the copy and paste option mentioned by Moulsey is really the best option. Perhaps I could urge members to really consider if a quote is required in the first place. I can see if it's a technical subject but general discussions I am not always sure it is necessary? 

David

Wherenext replied on 31/05/2017 19:42

Posted on 31/05/2017 19:42

David, without quoting you, I find that sometimes I am referring to or replying to a post that has several other posts between me and it and my post may make no sense in the flow of the topic without anchoring it with a quotation. Make any sense of that because it almost confused me?!

Otherwise I agree that the quoting of posts is not necessary but there are certain posters who use it all the time. Not sure what you can do.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/05/2017 20:35

Posted on 31/05/2017 19:42 by Wherenext

David, without quoting you, I find that sometimes I am referring to or replying to a post that has several other posts between me and it and my post may make no sense in the flow of the topic without anchoring it with a quotation. Make any sense of that because it almost confused me?!

Otherwise I agree that the quoting of posts is not necessary but there are certain posters who use it all the time. Not sure what you can do.

Posted on 31/05/2017 20:35

I quote for the very reason you've given, WN. I reply to you but a couple of other posts sneak in while I'm typing and the whole thing ends up as a nonsensical mess with no option to insert the quote via edit. At least we don't get 6 inches of quotes all down the page now.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook