Pitching the Value

peedee replied on 21/02/2024 07:09

Posted on 21/02/2024 07:09

Got an hour or so to read the detail.  An interesting set of statistics on the economic benefits of Holiday Parks and Campsites including CLs and CSs can be found >here.<  Overview at the top of the page or scroll down for the detailed reports.

peedee

JollyKernow replied on 21/02/2024 09:53

Posted on 21/02/2024 09:53

That makes some very interesting reading peedee, thanks for supplying. Interesting that only 14% of campsites and parks were surveyed to achieve those results though.

JK

peedee replied on 21/02/2024 10:17

Posted on 21/02/2024 10:17

JK, I think in most instances they explain how the numbers surveyed affected accuracy of results.

Did you notice how the two Clubs describe themselves? As a member of both Clubs I recognised the C&MC one as a load of BS. It just highlights the differences between the two Clubs and the way they go about their business.

Interesting to also see the motorhomes outnumbered caravans in the survey, 44 percent to 37 percent.

peedee

peedee replied on 21/02/2024 13:13

Posted on 21/02/2024 13:13

Interesting to also see the motorhomes outnumbered caravans in the survey, 44 percent to 37 percent.

That was in England. Across the UK the figures are 41 percent motorhomes 36 percent caravans. If that translates into Club members there are about 156,000 motorhome/campervan owners in the Club. That is 38 percent of registered vehicles.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 21/02/2024 21:16

Posted on 21/02/2024 21:16

Even in August the sites  are reporting only 68% occupancy levels - and in other months less than that. That sheds light on those who think that UK camping, motor homing and caravanning are booming. Not so at all. 

Contrast that figure with the numbers and profits the UK airports and holiday airlines are currently reporting . That’s where the real growth is. The UK Camping Alliance which commissioned this survey is whistling in the dark to keep their spirits up.

peedee replied on 22/02/2024 07:48

Posted on 21/02/2024 21:16 by eurortraveller

Even in August the sites  are reporting only 68% occupancy levels - and in other months less than that. That sheds light on those who think that UK camping, motor homing and caravanning are booming. Not so at all. 

Contrast that figure with the numbers and profits the UK airports and holiday airlines are currently reporting . That’s where the real growth is. The UK Camping Alliance which commissioned this survey is whistling in the dark to keep their spirits up.

Posted on 22/02/2024 07:48

I beleive that, pre COVID, most sites worked on an occupancy figure of 65 percent, if it was more than that they were doing well. The survey was done post COVID and acknowledges that following a peak in site occupancy levels, they were getting back towards pre COVID levels. One of the threats it acknowledges is the competition from other holiday destinations which can only get worse if the cost of providing UK pitches rises even further. I already beleive it is economical to tour the Continent rather than the UK (with added benefits) and I highlighted this in a story I published on CT. Incidently the daily cost highlighted in that story are not too far off what the survey published and also closely match my estimated cost of £90 per day of keeping and using a leisure vehicle. (Inflation and the cost of our hobby)

I have no interest in jetting off to destinations (been there done that) and find a leisure vehicle a much more relaxing way to holiday. That is one of the strengths of pitch value.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook