No tv on 12v ?

black caviar replied on 22/08/2016 06:13

Posted on 22/08/2016 06:13

hello am on a ths trying life without the orange umbilical(and its greeat) however have plugged telly into 12v socket and it doesnt switch on , have tried it in car and tv works ,so its something in caravan (hymer nova 13 years old, have looked in instruction book and it says i need to install a "phono screen" between the 12v socket and electrical appliances such as tv what i can get from a hymer accessories shop anyone know what one of these is ???? by the way this ths is lovely :))

replied on 22/08/2016 07:12

Posted on 22/08/2016 07:12

Have you checked the caravan socket with another appliance? I can see no reason why the TV would not actualy switch on if there was power to the socket. Check your 12 volt fuses.

Hakinbush replied on 22/08/2016 07:33

Posted on 22/08/2016 07:33

I had this problem once it turned out to be the van battery although working lights and things it didnt have the oomf to turn the 12 volt tv on, you could try plugging the van back into the car then start the car up for a few minutes the charge its putting into the van might be enough to bring tele on if it does you know you need new liesure battery or bigger one.

RoyandBev replied on 22/08/2016 08:16

Posted on 22/08/2016 08:16

I use an Avtex with a 12 volt supply direct and works perfectly there should be nothing to stop yours working unless as Hakinbush says power is low in leisure battery (your battery condition meter should tell you this) but if lights and water pump are all OK seems unlikely

Try something else in the 12 volt socket you are using, Plug in sat nav or charge your phone sounds as if you have no 12 volt there, if so a fuse or poor connection.

My Avtex lead also comes with a built in fuse in the plug if other items power up from the socket you are using that fuse could be blown or connection lose or the lead is faulty.

The TV has to be OK as it uses same connection to power up whether running of the transformer or direct from 12 Volts.

young thomas replied on 22/08/2016 08:34

Posted on 22/08/2016 08:34

one thing, have ypu used the Hymer 12v socket for anything else, as Easy says, to test it?

the reason i ask is that our Geman van's 12v socket is a continental DIN 'Hella' socket which is a slightly different size to those fitted in uk vans....there is an adaptor to convert available on ebay and similar....

it may be that you have the plug in the socket but its not connecting correctly as the sizes are slightly different...

perhaps 'phono screen' os a clumsy translation in the manual for one of these socket adaptors.....?

EJB986 replied on 22/08/2016 15:17

Posted on 22/08/2016 15:17

A volt meter, for less than £5, helps solve lots of problems.

Item doesn't work...stick in a meter....socket is either live or dead....put it across a battery and it is either live or dead.

So very useful.

Hope you get a good resultSmile

black caviar replied on 22/08/2016 15:31

Posted on 22/08/2016 15:31

bb i think you correct i shall look into it cos phone charger doesnt wirk either yet both telly and phone charger work in car , so i shall look on ebay when i get home , i bet lowdhams sell them cos i think they hymer dealers, the batterys are fine as have solar panels on roof , its nice just listening to radio tho .... more peacefull somehow thanks for quick responses cheers mrs bc:)

replied on 22/08/2016 20:08

Posted on 22/08/2016 20:08

What BB suggests sounds likely as a chap kiving up the road from me asked to try his TV on my caravan. It worked fine. not in his and he had a continental van. Can't ask as he has since moved.

black caviar replied on 24/08/2016 21:15

Posted on 24/08/2016 21:15

Thankyou i have bought an adapter from "go camping" which converts german hella socket to english ciggy socket , next time i can get to caravan in storage i will try it , again thanks for your contributions they are much appreciated :)) mrs bc 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook