New TomTom Sat Nav

Graymee replied on 25/04/2020 16:08

Posted on 25/04/2020 16:08

I've had TomTom Sat Nav's for years and am a big fan. They're regarded as a market leader, have good routing algorithms and the lane guidance is good. I currently have a basic model but will be buying a second car soon and I intend to relegate the old one to the small car.

For the tow car I am going to buy a new TomTom unit, either the GO CAMPER SAT NAV or the TOMTOM GO PROFESSIONAL TRUCK, VAN AND BUS SAT NAV. Does anyone have experience of either of these two specific models that could share Pros and cons? The dedicated caravan unit is considerably more expensive than the truck version but I believe putting the correct dimension for my outfit into the Professional Truck version would give me sensible routing avoiding steep or narrow roads.

I am not interested in Avtex, Garmin or even other TomTom units

DavidKlyne replied on 25/04/2020 20:27

Posted on 25/04/2020 20:27

I don't have the devices you mention but I do have the TomTom Camper Maps on an existing Sat Nav and I have always been impressed with the routes it has directed me along. I now have a built in TomTom sat nav in my motorhome which is not as good as my stand alone unit. My only objection to TomTom ( having been a fan for a long time) is that it seems more and more difficult to load extra POI's.

David

young thomas replied on 26/04/2020 08:01

Posted on 26/04/2020 08:01

i agree, David. i love our 3rd Tomtom for its actual navigation (more route info now, incl traffic etc) but, following a radical application software change a few years ago, POI management became a pain in the A compared to the previous 'drag & drop'.

i just dont bother to update them so often...undecided

Bluemalaga replied on 26/04/2020 14:39

Posted on 26/04/2020 14:39

I have a Snooper truckmate which allows dimensions to be loaded into the unit.

Although I find it much more trustworthy than my Land Rover unit, it still takes me on strange routes. especially noticeable on my known routes.

With these known errors, I discussed my concerns with a TomTom advisor last year at the caravan show, who advised that all devices are programmed using the same information provided by the body responsible for road warning signs etc. (forgot who they are) but that does seem to be a good piece of info, as he advised that I would be no better off with a Tom Tom than with my Snooper. 

The programmes are written into the software to take into account such things as low/narrow bridges speed limits where appropriate, inclines sharp corners z. bends etc. which are all provided from the same source.

Hope someone finds a unit we could all rey upon.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/04/2020 17:45

Posted on 26/04/2020 17:45

If I were in the market for a new stand alone satellite navigation system I think I would give careful consideration to an Aguri. Reading their instructions it still seems possible to add new POI's by drag and drop as you used to be able to do with the TomTom's. I think as things stand I will stick with the inbuilt one in the motorhome, perhaps paying a bit more notice to the route set before setting off as it is inclined to try and take short cuts which I am becoming wise to!!! Like my stand alone TomTom the built in one does have a facility to review the destination. As this is often the point where things go wrong I find it a useful feature.

David

Amesford replied on 27/04/2020 11:43

Posted on 27/04/2020 11:43

We have a Tom Tom motorhome/caravan sat nav but the problem is the data ie were we live now the post code covers both sides of a low bridge and with a warehouse the other side to us means we have lorry's using sat navs and wind turning round in the cul de sac (yes there signs warning of the low bridge) so we are moving but alas the (new to us) house is a number 6 but there is another number 6 on the same road with same post code yell so we should soon make new friends exchanging letters & parcels plus on one trip the tom tom tried to send us the wrong way to a club site whilst the one fitted in the tow car sent us the way advised by the club?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook