New campervanner looking for a good place to test

ClubMember700F80B11E replied on 06/03/2023 14:23

Posted on 06/03/2023 14:23

Hi There,

Firstly - completely new here and to Campervanning. We have just purchased our first campervan (Mazda Bongo) and we to go and find somewhere to take it for a quick weekend (maybe just one night) for a test run.

We live in Stroud (Gloucestershire) - are thinking of going to some woodlands - like the forest of Dean. I am wandering about just parking up somewhere for free or in a carpark - compared with booking an actual campsite. Since its a short trip I am not expecting to use the fridge or or very much power.

I suppose I am looking for general advise on places to just park up and camp (off the road). Are there places to look (maps?) for such things? - where should one start?

Thanks!

Alastair

Tinwheeler replied on 06/03/2023 14:50

Posted on 06/03/2023 14:50

I think you should perhaps start by checking the law on wild camping. Here’s one source of info to get you started -https://www.salopleisure.co.uk/press/articles/motorhomes/a-guide-to-wild-camping-with-motorhomes-in-the-uk/3272

As you’ve joined CAMC, why not try using a CL if you’re looking for a secluded location rather than a big site? It'll be safe and have the basic necessities you'll need such as a toilet emptying point, fresh water supply and rubbish bins. Many even have electric hook-up points.

Tbh, I don’t think you’re posting on the right forum for info on wild camping park-ups but welcome to CT anyway.

PS You can choose your own user name via My Profile at the top of the page.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/03/2023 17:32

Posted on 06/03/2023 17:32

Alastair

You could have a look at the "Life is too Short" channel on YouTube. They have a similar sized van to yours and they do a lot of no campsite camping. I think there is a website called something like PitchUp which lists places where you are allowed to stay which are not campsites. Having said that might it not be a good idea to use a campsite for your first night where at least you would have all the facilities you might need?

David

brue replied on 06/03/2023 17:40

Posted on 06/03/2023 17:40

My family had a Mazda Bongo, mostly used for trips to France. Can you heat yours easily? You might be better near an EHU as a start to see if everything works and the EHU might give you some back up especially if we have a cold snap. Good luck with your travels. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 06/03/2023 17:43

Posted on 06/03/2023 17:43

You do need to do a bit of research around what is and isn’t allowed in terms of overnight camping. It’s always best to stay legal, but this doesn’t have to mean spending a lot of money. There are some lovely no hook up CLs that won’t cost very much, and you can always look at the Britstops option, which may or may not involve a small fee, but is very nice as locations are often based at pubs, craft type centres, some cafes etc…Just search “Britstops”. 

Just parking up and dossing down for free might not get you the welcome you expect, and if you are new to campervanning, you don’t really want a bad first experience. SearchforSites is another good website and will tell you if overnight stops are allowed, and how safe, enjoyable, peaceful they are. Some of the Forestry car parks welcome overnight stays for a small fee, so suggest you take a look. We did a couple of very nice Forestry stays in Scotland last year.

Hja replied on 06/03/2023 20:25

Posted on 06/03/2023 20:25

I agree with all the previous responses. However, for you first trip out with a new van I would pick a camp site. You will have all the facilities you need, and people around to help if there are things that go wrong, or you are not sure of.

Although I dont use CAMC club sites very often these days, I would actually go for a club site.  Then you have a warden on site, and despite some of the moans on here and elsewhere, most Club wardens in our experience have always been helpful.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/03/2023 20:50

Posted on 06/03/2023 20:50

Alastair, there is a "bongo" owners club which might be of interest to you, as they regularly have meets and would perhaps help you with any problems you may have. You can find a link on Facebook to them. We have a friend who owns one, is a member and enjoys her outings with them.I

You could you the Searchforsites website to find somewhere that would suit your requirements.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php

dunelm replied on 07/03/2023 09:26

Posted on 07/03/2023 09:26

There have been some excellent points made in the responses so far.

If it is a first test run, surely you should test everything.  On a campsite with electric hook up  you will be able to do that. If you have any problems then hopefully you can sort them or have them sorted before you embark on any longer trips.

Why do you wish to "just park up and camp"?

Do you have a toilet of any kind  in your van? 

Do you have any heating in your van? If not, a small panel heater and/or a small fan heater will be most useful if you are using an electric hook up on a  campsite.

DSB replied on 07/03/2023 10:01

Posted on 07/03/2023 10:01

Like others have said...  I'd go to a proper site for the first journey out, at least..  Test everything out, and there will be someone around to ask for help if you need it.

I guess Cirencester Park CAMC site isn't too far away.... then there's the sites at Tewkesbury, Cheltenham (Racecourse), and even the 'Cotswolds sites' (Burford, Bourton, Moreton-in-Marsh).  Go close to home the first time out.....  if you forget anything, you can always nip home for it..  🙂

David

Takethedogalong replied on 07/03/2023 16:51

Posted on 07/03/2023 16:51

There are three pub based stop overs in the Forest of Dean, one with EHU. All have decent reviews. Just use Searchforsites.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook