Moving to Motorhome

Watendlath replied on 04/05/2024 12:45

Posted on 04/05/2024 12:45

Hi All, your collective wisdom please.

Age is catching up with us and we are actively considering moving from caravanning for 40 years to a motorhome so that we can continue to go away as often as we want to.

We don't want a MH that is so big that we cannot realistically take it out for the day and we don't see the point of a big MH towing a small car (and this would give us A frame problems in France anyway). We are looking for a medium sized MH that is big enough for habitation but compact enough for days out/supermarkets etc without stopping and parking being an issue.

We have our eye on a Bailey Adamo 69-4 which is about 7m length and 2.4m width.

Leaving aside the question of Bailey MH quality which is another topic can I ask if anyone can pass on their experiences with a MH (of any make) with those approximate dimensions? Would it be suitable so that we are not static on a site and totally reliant on public transport.

Thanks

David

SteveL replied on 04/05/2024 13:03

Posted on 04/05/2024 13:03

You wouldn’t be static but you would have to think and plan carefully. Ours is 6.94 / 2.25 and whilst we occasionally take it to say a National Trust property or visit places on route we generally look for sites where we can use public transport. No problem in supermarkets to restock supplies however.

Hja replied on 04/05/2024 13:05

Posted on 04/05/2024 13:05

At that length you will have problems in England for parking. You will rely on being able to occupy and pay for two car park bays. That is without considering height barriers. We have a 6.4 m PVC and can often get our back hanging over at the back or we can park on the road where bays are not marked out. We do research car park opportunities before going to any town and use google maps to consider access to landmarks, tourist attractions etc.

I would also consider payload with a van at that size unless you have  a C1 license. 

Tinwheeler replied on 04/05/2024 13:08

Posted on 04/05/2024 13:08

In my opinion, and I know others will disagree, a MH of those dimensions would be too big for the use you want.

You are on the right track in sensibly thinking things through with regards to getting out and about but, for example, the van you suggest will occupy 4 spaces in a supermarket car park so will not be that easy to park. Even a 6m PVC needs 2 spaces lengthways unless it’s possible to park with the rear overhanging a verge. We had a 6.4m coachbuilt at one time and that was just about manageable but still needed 4 spaces to park. Keep your eyes open when you’re out and consider where and how you would access places and park if you were driving a 7m MH. 

Good hunting!

Cornersteady replied on 04/05/2024 13:37

Posted on 04/05/2024 13:37

We are still 'young' enough' to have our caravan but I do like the 'simplicity' of pitching a MH without all the bits needed for a caravan but having one it fits in with our current touring style - using the car to access road and places especially for walks in the Lakes . 

We have thought about making it easier by having an auto engage mover and an automatic leveling system where the steadies are moved down as well. Then all that would be needed is water and waste, which again could be made easier by systems which by-pass the aquaroll and a service pitch which we already use. EHU would of course be the same (for us anyway).

If you have thought about this then just ignore but we'll probably do this before going to a MH.

eurortraveller replied on 04/05/2024 13:40

Posted on 04/05/2024 13:40

My view?  Put the  £75,000 cost of a Bailey into accounts earning nearly £4000 a year interest. Start to spend the capital too.  Go to smart hotels. Rent comfortable cottages. Fly to Lanzarote or Cyprus. Have a look at New Zealand. Forget that cumbersome motorhome. There’s a whole range of opportunities beyond campsites. Good wishes for a new life ahead. 

SteveL replied on 04/05/2024 15:31

Posted on 04/05/2024 15:31

To some extent it does depend on where you intend to use it. We do half of our touring in France and it is rarely an issue as there is generally an Aire within easy walking distance of what you want to visit. These can be used just as a parking space while you visit, or for an overnight stop.

LLM replied on 04/05/2024 16:04

Posted on 04/05/2024 16:04

I agree with SteveL and will go as far as to say that a motorhome is a liability in the UK.  In Europe motorhomes and motorhomers are made welcome with excellent motorhome only parking areas made available either free or at quite low cost.  In the UK such facilities are rarely found.  Caravanning in the UK is much easier.  

DavidKlyne replied on 04/05/2024 16:35

Posted on 04/05/2024 12:45 by Watendlath

Age is catching up with us and we are actively considering moving from caravanning for 40 years to a motorhome so that we can continue to go away as often as we want to.

We don't want a MH that is so big that we cannot realistically take it out for the day and we don't see the point of a big MH towing a small car (and this would give us A frame problems in France anyway). We are looking for a medium sized MH that is big enough for habitation but compact enough for days out/supermarkets etc without stopping and parking being an issue.

Leaving aside the question of Bailey MH quality which is another topic can I ask if anyone can pass on their experiences with a MH (of any make) with those approximate dimensions? Would it be suitable so that we are not static on a site and totally reliant on public transport.

Thanks

David

Posted on 04/05/2024 16:35

David 

I think, from what has been said, I generally agree that if you want to use a van for day visits the more compact the easier it would be. Fortunately we were free of that restriction so we went for something larger, initially,  when we swapped our caravan for a motorhome. It pays to really think how you will use the motorhome before making what is an expensive decision. We prefer to stay at campsites and explore on foot or by public transport although we have occasionally visited large country houses between sites, with our current motorhome, which is slightly smaller than the Adamo, although only just. Supermarket parking is usually fine and we shop en route if on a tour. If I get the chance I usually use Google Maps or Earth to check out access motorhomes.  I wish you luck.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 04/05/2024 17:13

Posted on 04/05/2024 12:45 by Watendlath

Thanks

David

Posted on 04/05/2024 17:13

You need, literally, to think outside the size of box you are used to when moving to a MH.
As other wise heads have advised, if you are primarily looking to use one in this country, and don’t want to be using public transport, walking or cycling, then the more compact you choose, the easier your touring life will be. You mention that you want to use it for days out as well, which is great, as the more the engine is fired up, the less issues you will get. Again, think as compact but comfortable as you can. This is our touring choice, in the UK, go out in our MH every day to visit places, move on, and when not on holiday, we go for full days out with our own cafe, rest room and facilities. Even a shower after a cycle ride😁 

A smaller unit will give you a lot more options in the UK. Where you can get to, where you can park up, where you might want to legally overnight somewhere, such as using pub stops. Forget if you want, most of your caravan habits, and consider a more compact, travel light existence that is easy to deal with, easy to set up, pack away, and you can take almost anywhere, even in the UK. I would suggest nothing larger than 6.5 metres, and as slim as possible, if you can find something that suits your personal circumstances.

MoHoSinger replied on 04/05/2024 19:31

Posted on 04/05/2024 19:31

My two penny's worth as a new MoHo owner in the course of moving from motorcycles to my Hobby 6 metre van: You may want to consider a couple of Ebikes likely folding to go with your van. Although my Hobby T500 is super easy to park my intention is largely to leave it on site and use the Ebike for sightseeing, shopping and exercise.  The two will compliment each other and keep me supple and fit for longer than might be the case otherwise. 

As to van length (and width) being new I can only sensibly advise that driving the Hobby is very little different to driving a car. I doubt that can be said of something 7 metres long but do not have recent personal experience to say more.

Chris

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook