Motorhome headlight glass

millwall replied on 31/08/2020 12:20

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:20

Can anybody out there suggest how i can get my motorhome headlight glass back to the something like the original finish. They have some sort of film on them that will not come off with ordinary cleaning?. Someone did mention that there is a paste you can by  that does the job!

Justus2 replied on 31/08/2020 13:10

Posted on 31/08/2020 13:10

I had a car with a plastic headlight "glass" which went a little opaque.. I managed to bring a shine back to it with a little chrome cleaner which I had on the shelf, but I was very very gentle.

Lutz replied on 31/08/2020 13:46

Posted on 31/08/2020 13:46

Is the film uniformly distributed all over the lens or only local with very defined limits? If the former is true you can try using a very mild abrasive, such as what Justus employed. If, on the other hand, the film is only local, it would indicate that the scratch or UV resistant coating is flaking off. In that case, using an abrasive would create a uniform appearance again, but it would also make the lens much more vulnerable to scratches or yellowing in future. In that case, only a new lens would provide the answer.

lornalou1 replied on 31/08/2020 16:51

Posted on 31/08/2020 16:51

There are lots of video's on youtube on how to repolish headlight glass, take a look as some good tips. 

cyberyacht replied on 02/09/2020 20:38

Posted on 02/09/2020 20:38

My OH's old Getz had acrylic lenses and ended up with "motoring cataracts". Judicious application of T-Cut improved the situation.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook