Mobile internet in the Caravan (Avtex)

DSB replied on 25/04/2024 15:27

Posted on 25/04/2024 15:27

Several of the new caravans are produced with the Avtex Wi-Fi internet system.  Have any of you used this equipment/ device?  I'd be interested to hear people's views...

David

richardandros replied on 19/05/2024 05:45

Posted on 19/05/2024 05:45

David - I don't know whether it was on here - or on CaravanTalk - but I read recently about someone who had had the Avtex system fitted and it was rubbish. I appreciate that's only one person's experience, but I was surprised.

I use a TP LInk router, a Poynting aerial on a 10' mast attached to the jockey wheel with the usual aerial bracket and bring the lead in through a window set to 'fresh air' - avoiding having to drill a hole in the roof.  Not as neat as the Avtex but only takes a few minutes to set up and it works really well.  Cost was about £200 when I bought the kit. I use an EE sim card - now £60 from Argos for 120Gb of data and it lasts me the best part of a year - on the basis that we use it for at least a week and sometimes two weeks every month.  I regularly get 20-30 Mbps download and sometimes as high as 50-80 and I've used it all over the country. Much more effective than tethering to a phone.

Edit - see the discussion on "wifi that won't break the bank" on this forum, David.

DSB replied on 19/05/2024 08:06

Posted on 19/05/2024 08:06

Thanks both.  I've always managed by tethering to the phone before, to be honest, but the new van already has the Avtex systen fitted.  I'll take a look at the other thread too, David - thanks.

David

GEandGJE replied on 19/05/2024 12:18

Posted on 19/05/2024 12:18

I have used a Netgear Nighthawk M2 for the last 4 years and not had a single issue. Also it's small enough to slip into a rucksack if you are out and about and need a signal. Have also used it at home when BT Internet was down for three days.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook