LPG Availability

hitchglitch replied on 30/03/2018 21:50

Posted on 30/03/2018 21:50

We have been using our Motorhome at home for cooking for the last few days whilst our kitchen is being renovated. Of course, using the LPG (built-in tank) for heating it ran out last night so I discovered that there is an LPG shortage in the area. There are three garages within about 10 - 15 mins and only one had supplies.

Browsing another forum (after filling up) I discovered a great website filllpg.co.uk. It identifies availability and price throughout the UK and was absolutely accurate for my area. Pity I didn’t discover it before embarking on my own version of an Easter egg hunt!

peedee replied on 30/03/2018 22:03

Posted on 30/03/2018 22:03

You're not the first person to notice shortages. My local garage where I normally fill up hasn't had any for two months. Iamhoping to fill up somewhere on my next trip out. I too use FILLLPG

peedee

Oneputt replied on 30/03/2018 22:33

Posted on 30/03/2018 22:33

On another thread I suggested having a sticky where members could post places where they have filled up.  Yesterday I filled up our bottle at the Shell station in Oulton Broad

young thomas replied on 31/03/2018 08:43

Posted on 31/03/2018 08:43

also try www.mylpg.eu to give European wide station locations including POI files for your satnav...

it also reports recent usage (with confirmation date) to give real time accuracy...

hitchglitch replied on 31/03/2018 14:45

Posted on 30/03/2018 22:33 by Oneputt

On another thread I suggested having a sticky where members could post places where they have filled up.  Yesterday I filled up our bottle at the Shell station in Oulton Broad

Posted on 31/03/2018 14:45

It looks as though the filllpg website gets updated regularly. If you touch on the symbol on the interactive map you can see all the details so I don’t think that a Sticky will add anything.

Dellers replied on 21/09/2020 19:51

Posted on 21/09/2020 19:51

Being very new to this game and having ordered our van with an LPG Tank fitted I am not so sure now. With my local Shell removing the Pump, seeing BP announcement etc. plus the incredibly limited number of stations on the 'LPG Map' I think I had better change our order pdq.

Any experienced Motor homer out there care to comment?

Thanks

Derek

Tinwheeler replied on 21/09/2020 19:59

Posted on 21/09/2020 19:59

We have a tank and it is becoming a concern as so many pumps are vanishing. Given the choice, I would choose cylinders. Many people swear by refillable cylinders because they can be more cost effective if you use a lot of gas but I think they present the same problem as a tank when refills are needed.

It might depend where you intend to use your van most as I believe it's much easier to refill overseas. If you have exchangeable, rather than refillable cylinders though, you will not be able to get Calor in Europe and will need a local cylinder.

Dellers replied on 21/09/2020 20:12

Posted on 21/09/2020 20:12

Thanks Tinwheeler much appreciated. I think I am going to change to Cylinders because at least for the foreseeable future the UK is our Touring area. Cos of Brexit cant use our boat that much (its in France) so the Motorhome is a kind of early replacement its just that one day when we can no longer pull the sheets and tug her in and out the Motorhome will become the transport of choice.

Once again thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Thanks

Derek

mickysf replied on 21/09/2020 20:13

Posted on 21/09/2020 20:13

I'm totally dissolutioned and disappointed. I went for refillable tanks and now am contemplating a retrofit back to bottles at some expense and loss of storage space!  The pumps at garages seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate before our very eyes. How much longer will the likes of Autosleeper be fitting on-board tanks as a standard fitting to some of their motorhomes? Not much longer I suggest!

Come on Merve, much needed reassurance needed! What's your take on this dilemma?

DavidKlyne replied on 21/09/2020 21:46

Posted on 21/09/2020 21:46

I have seen LPG pumps on motorway services and whilst I appreciate that prices will be higher I wonder if there is a requirement for them to maintain a supply of gas?

David

hitchglitch replied on 22/09/2020 07:58

Posted on 22/09/2020 07:58

Last time I filled up their was a car in front of me filling it’s main tank. There are also a number of LPG taxis around so hopefully there is still a demand outside of leisure use.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook