just disconnected all power in van

kalamitty55 replied on 11/09/2023 08:44

Posted on 11/09/2023 08:44

after having a bad year health wise,  wife recovering from a double fracture of spine and when we managed a week i went down with the virus circulating so had to cut short the holiday,  i have disconnected the 240v, and remove fuse for solar panel then removed battery into garage,  and removed the sargent alarm battery,  then found out it was fitted in 2016 having never been replaced, should be replaced every three years,  so will order new one before next year touring starts, also in the coachman manual it states the control panel should be removed over winter how many people do this? 

Tammygirl replied on 11/09/2023 20:11

Posted on 11/09/2023 20:11

Other than draining down the system, we leave the solar panel working away and the alarm set. We do turn the wheels if they have not moved every 3 mths.

KjellNN replied on 12/09/2023 17:09

Posted on 12/09/2023 17:09

We too drain down all the water system, but not the Alde fluid side of the heating.    We have the van on the driveway so keep it plugged in to the  mains and this keeps the battery topped up and stops the alarm battery getting low.

We do not have a solar panel on the van, but if we did I would leave it connected as TG said.

kalamitty55 replied on 12/09/2023 18:26

Posted on 12/09/2023 18:26

i have owned caravans in the past and never used to bother, just store it for winter then put stuff back in and go away in the spring,   but i bought this coachman last year the liesure battery was probaly original 7 years old,  didnt hookup to 240v as when i checked we were getting a charge from solar,  unfortunately the snow came covered solar up the battery must have had cells breakdown and the alarm was taking the rest,  so i gave battery the battery a boost as it was reading below 12v more like 7v, and when on bench it was holding a charge so refitted the battery and connect to 240v  then when i next went in i could smell sulpher faintly,  switched on control panel was faint and the heater panel gradualy faded so couldnt see what was on it.  turned off the master switch, disconnected battery, bought a new battery connected it in van connected 240v, then the alde panel wouldnt work, turned out the cable to boiler had corroded at the rear of panel, so renewed then the sensor on the boiler had finished so had to replace that,,  so to save a repeat i decided to disconnect all power as it was condensation causing power to arch on the alde panel so no power no arching, and in the coachman manual it does state to remove the alde control panel for that reason.

KjellNN replied on 12/09/2023 22:45

Posted on 12/09/2023 22:45

Yes, that sounds like what I had read regarding the Alde control panel.

Our van is now just over 15 years old and we have had a few problems with the Alde.....a leak of fluid due to a pipe rubbing on another pipe.......a new PCB required on the boiler......2 new circulating pumps..........and a new control panel, though not due to condensation.

kalamitty55 replied on 13/09/2023 18:39

Posted on 13/09/2023 18:39

KjeIINN,  you can send the pcb to apuljack electronics and they will test and repair and send back, ( think you have to send alde control panel) thats how i found i needed a new cable,  a new one is about £250.  good luck on fixing it.  

KjellNN replied on 13/09/2023 20:28

Posted on 13/09/2023 20:28

We were in York when our PCB failed, and needed it fixed quickly, so we had to get in a repair man.  It was the thermal fuse that went.    The repair people do not repair just replace, so it was a couple of £100 for the new board and fitting.   I kept the duff board, and being a bit of an electronics nerd, decided to repair it to have as a spare.   A new fuse costs less than a £.

I have tested my repair, and I have several spare fuses, the replacement PCB is doing fine, so hopefully we are all set for a while!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook