Jockey Wheels and Warranty

DIANEADD replied on 30/04/2024 12:44

Posted on 30/04/2024 12:44

I have a 2yr old swift 560 challenger. I found that the Alko solid plastic wheel judders a lot on gravel. I looked at the Kartt wheel but it is smaller. Alko do a soft wheel which looks to be the same dimensions as the original. I have phoned swift who say that any modifications that are not standard to the van could affect warranty in anything related to that modification.                       

Any comments please

eribaMotters replied on 30/04/2024 12:56

Posted on 30/04/2024 12:56

I cannot see how it could effect the caravan warranty. You could say the part has worn, just as your tyres do and replace it. 

I'd check again with Kartt as they do a wide range of wheel sizes, up to the 230 x 80 KW012R which is about 95 on the axle and compatible with the Alko Premium Jockey wheel.

Colin

joanie replied on 30/04/2024 13:50

Posted on 30/04/2024 13:50

When we had a  brand new caravan once we were driving up to the site over the speed bumps and didn't realise immediately that the jockey wheel had dropped  so going over the next bump the wheel bent as it must have turned sideways, so we had to get another one. Nothing was ever said about it. 

Simon100 replied on 30/04/2024 20:47

Posted on 30/04/2024 20:47

I have changed the wheel on my last two caravans to the Alko soft version and not even considered it a warrenty issue.

The could only affect the warrenty related to the jockey wheel and nothing else, so I would not worry about it. 

The soft wheel is much better for going over gravel and loose surfaces and it is an easy task to change.

DIANEADD replied on 01/05/2024 10:56

Posted on 30/04/2024 20:47 by Simon100

I have changed the wheel on my last two caravans to the Alko soft version and not even considered it a warrenty issue.

The could only affect the warrenty related to the jockey wheel and nothing else, so I would not worry about it. 

The soft wheel is much better for going over gravel and loose surfaces and it is an easy task to change.

Posted on 01/05/2024 10:56

Thanks for the info. Did you just change the wheel or the winding mechanism as well.? My Wheel is 200mm and the soft wheel is 240mm.

?

Simon100 replied on 01/05/2024 20:40

Posted on 01/05/2024 20:40

I just changed the jockey wheel. On my Coachman it was a straight swap for the existing 'hard' wheel. It is only held on the axle with a split pin.

Have you measured with width yourself, or are you going off some specification? It might be worth double checking.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook