Is there a size limit for motor homes on club site

RegG replied on 19/07/2021 13:13

Posted on 19/07/2021 13:13

We are considering swapping our touring caravan for a motor home which is 8.11 metres long. Is there a limit to the length of a motor home allowed on Club sites? I realise this is probably a silly question but I like to check things out!!

Tinwheeler replied on 19/07/2021 13:29

Posted on 19/07/2021 13:29

If you look at each site's web page, it will tell you the max size of unit that can be pitched on that site.

My personal view is that 8m+ is too big for ease of driving, parking, pitching but others will disagree.

DavidKlyne replied on 19/07/2021 14:56

Posted on 19/07/2021 14:56

The size of motorhome you are thinking of is not unusual on many Club sites. The accepted length guide is noted against each site in the directory. Often this is due to pitch length and sometimes difficulties of access. We previously had a motorhome which was nearly eight metres long with the bikes on the back and never experienced any issues on Club sites. If it is doubtful about the max length on a particular site always you can always ring the site direct to check how set in concrete the size is, sometimes they do have a couple of pitches which can accommodate longer motorhomes. Going off site might be a totally different proposition in terms of finding somewhere to park. 

David

JVB66 replied on 19/07/2021 19:12

Posted on 19/07/2021 19:12

The max LV size that is available on each sites booking page, May mean that they may only be able to accommodate one LV of that size ,I suggest a call to the site you are intending to visit ,so the staff can be aware a suitable pitch is available when you arrivesurprised

RegG replied on 20/07/2021 09:29

Posted on 19/07/2021 14:56 by DavidKlyne

The size of motorhome you are thinking of is not unusual on many Club sites. The accepted length guide is noted against each site in the directory. Often this is due to pitch length and sometimes difficulties of access. We previously had a motorhome which was nearly eight metres long with the bikes on the back and never experienced any issues on Club sites. If it is doubtful about the max length on a particular site always you can always ring the site direct to check how set in concrete the size is, sometimes they do have a couple of pitches which can accommodate longer motorhomes. Going off site might be a totally different proposition in terms of finding somewhere to park. 

David

Posted on 20/07/2021 09:29

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had seen max unit lengths somewhere but for the life of me couldn't find them! As the proposed purchase is only about 60cm longer than our current touring van I am not too but as it is just over 8 metres there are a few sites that will not accommodate it! I'm sure I've seen twin axle tourers that are over 8 metres.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2021 09:50

Posted on 20/07/2021 09:50

As three of us have said, max length varies by site so you need to check each one.

The max body length of a caravan, or any trailer, permitted to be towed by a vehicle up to 3500kg is 7m. It might reach 8m with the drawbar but won't be over 8m in it's body.

replied on 20/07/2021 10:14

Posted on 20/07/2021 10:14

The user and all related content has been deleted

KjellNN replied on 20/07/2021 13:13

Posted on 20/07/2021 13:13

There are now a few UK vans which are over 8m overall, which is the size you have to use when looking at site limits, plus many continental vans have a long drawbar which also puts them over the 8m .

There are a few sites with a 7.5m limit, some that  have 8m, but most are 8m plus.

JollyKernow replied on 20/07/2021 20:41

Posted on 20/07/2021 20:41

Evening

The site I'm running in north Devon this year states an 8m limit. I've had that changed to 9m because 98% of pitches will easily accommodate. However I have 30% of pitches which will take 11+m outfits. Just need forward notice so I can manage said pitches accordingly. Give us a call, we'll try our best.

JK

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook