Inflatable awnings

Kelteglow replied on 15/04/2022 14:53

Posted on 15/04/2022 14:53

I see a lot of Inflatable Awnings for sale .Are they any good ?.Are they lighter than those with  poles ? Are they any lighter ,Etc ? Thanks Bob

Rover Frank replied on 15/04/2022 15:15

Posted on 15/04/2022 15:15

Always used a conventional Isabella for 20 years but because of my age and the awning weight 4 years ago bought an inflatable Prima I have had inflatable problems in that the tube valves leak unless they are very, very well tightened also the connecting pipes have split therefore the 4 tubes have to be inflated separately.  Overall disappointed but compared to the Isabella not a contest but price wise a big difference I would recommend to for a good quality one,they are certainly lighter and easier quicker to erect.

Cornersteady replied on 15/04/2022 15:31

Posted on 15/04/2022 15:31

Yes they are certainly popular on any sort of site. We have had both and now would not go back to ones with poles.

They are, or can be, actually heavier than pole awnings but this depends on the type, a simple small porch air awning probably won't be but as you get larger the weight increases due to the air bladders which have to take air pressure.  So it's probably a two person job to pull them through the awning rail.

But... once you've done that then there is no putting in the poles one by one, or working out which pole goes where, or any tensioning, you simply attached the hand or electric pump and the awning goes up in quite a short length of time fully formed. After that you still have to peg it out of course.

Putting it away can be done in a fraction of the time compared to a pole awning, unpeg, let the air out and then pull it out which is far easier than threading it in and no putting the poles away. 

We've had ours out in high winds and it's been fine providing you peg it out properly and/or use a tie down kit (which many now have already sown in), and in fact it can't do much damage if it does go unlike a pole which could make a nasty dent somewhere. 

There have one or two reports on here about the air tubes bursting but I've not seen that happen (and it won't be due to high temperatures as often stated) and more likely due to a defect in manufacturing.

We have a Kamp large awning and a small Suncamp both of which has served well all year round. Go to a local dealer and they'll often give you a demonstration or ask someone on site.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/04/2022 16:33

Posted on 15/04/2022 15:31 by Cornersteady

Yes they are certainly popular on any sort of site. We have had both and now would not go back to ones with poles.

They are, or can be, actually heavier than pole awnings but this depends on the type, a simple small porch air awning probably won't be but as you get larger the weight increases due to the air bladders which have to take air pressure.  So it's probably a two person job to pull them through the awning rail.

But... once you've done that then there is no putting in the poles one by one, or working out which pole goes where, or any tensioning, you simply attached the hand or electric pump and the awning goes up in quite a short length of time fully formed. After that you still have to peg it out of course.

Putting it away can be done in a fraction of the time compared to a pole awning, unpeg, let the air out and then pull it out which is far easier than threading it in and no putting the poles away. 

We've had ours out in high winds and it's been fine providing you peg it out properly and/or use a tie down kit (which many now have already sown in), and in fact it can't do much damage if it does go unlike a pole which could make a nasty dent somewhere. 

There have one or two reports on here about the air tubes bursting but I've not seen that happen (and it won't be due to high temperatures as often stated) and more likely due to a defect in manufacturing.

We have a Kamp large awning and a small Suncamp both of which has served well all year round. Go to a local dealer and they'll often give you a demonstration or ask someone on site.

Posted on 15/04/2022 16:33

+1, I like them a lot, I’d never change back either. Drop it where it’s wanted, open the valves plug the pump into the vehicle set inflation pressure switch on & walk away. I keep an eye on it due to kinks appearing, they take a poke & it’s away again. Superb. Yup, I bought storm straps as a back up but haven’t needed them yet. I use the thick heavy rubber ring attachments that tend to expand in high winds & reduce when wind abates👍🏻

Cornersteady replied on 15/04/2022 16:51

Posted on 15/04/2022 16:33 by Rocky 2 buckets

+1, I like them a lot, I’d never change back either. Drop it where it’s wanted, open the valves plug the pump into the vehicle set inflation pressure switch on & walk away. I keep an eye on it due to kinks appearing, they take a poke & it’s away again. Superb. Yup, I bought storm straps as a back up but haven’t needed them yet. I use the thick heavy rubber ring attachments that tend to expand in high winds & reduce when wind abates👍🏻

Posted on 15/04/2022 16:51

A by-product is that relationships with Mrs C when putting up the awning have improved significantly too!

None of that no I meant that other (bleeping) pole 

Kelteglow replied on 15/04/2022 18:44

Posted on 15/04/2022 18:44

Thanks for your swift replies .Are their any makes or older ones I should avoid as I may buy second hand .Thanks Bob

Cornersteady replied on 15/04/2022 18:54

Posted on 15/04/2022 18:44 by Kelteglow

Thanks for your swift replies .Are their any makes or older ones I should avoid as I may buy second hand .Thanks Bob

Posted on 15/04/2022 18:54

A pleasure and thanks for relying back (doesn't always happen).

Not too sure about that question sorry, ours are 5 and 8 years old, used extensively (which one depends on the length of time spent away) and still going strong. So there should be some good ones about? 

richardandros replied on 16/04/2022 05:30

Posted on 16/04/2022 05:30

I am another one who has used poled awnings in the past but when we returned to caravanning about 10 years ago, made the switch to air awnings and I wouldn't go back either.

We have two air awnings - a Kampa 390 Grande which is a full 3m deep and a Sunncamp 390 which isn't quite so deep. The Kampa is extremely good quality in terms of the material and its versatility in terms of door opening options etc - but it is very heavy to get on the rail - even with the side panels removed. At over £1000, it was also quite expensive.

The Sunncamp is also very well made - but is lightweight and much easier to get on the rail.  It's not quite as flexible in terms of door opening options but at £350 in an end of season sale about 4 years ago, it was much cheaper.

Another thing to consider is what to do if you have to pack it away wet.  The Kampa is a pain to dry at home - being a big lump - but drying the lightweight SC is easy and that's why it's our preferred awning for winter.

I use an electric pump and the Kampa takes 3 minutes to inflate - so effortless! We have had them both out in 50 mph winds and although they may flex a bit now and again in the gusts, both have been fine and, of course, no worries about poles damaging the van.

TimboC replied on 18/04/2022 15:34

Posted on 18/04/2022 15:34

We have a Vango Varkala which has multiple beams that you inflate independantly, rather than a single inflation point. The advantage is that if you get a puncture, only the one beam deflates and needs replacement. I don't know about other types of air awnings so can't comment on how this compares.

We have found two issues. First, when the wind is high, the ends of the tubes rub againts the caravan. Over time, this wears the inner tubes, and then they burst. We have lost 2 since 2017, and I would recommend having spare inner tubes to hand as nobody stocks them. You can buy them direct from Vango Spares

Secondly, the uprights on air awnings are not height adjustable like they are on traditional ones. This is ok on a flat and even pitch, but if you pitch on an uneven one, the awing can look quite twisted.

Overall, we are quite happy with it, and tend to use a Fiamma pull out in the Summer, but if I was in the market for a new awning today, I would buy a traditional one..probably an Isabella

Cornersteady replied on 18/04/2022 16:57

Posted on 16/04/2022 05:30 by richardandros

I am another one who has used poled awnings in the past but when we returned to caravanning about 10 years ago, made the switch to air awnings and I wouldn't go back either.

We have two air awnings - a Kampa 390 Grande which is a full 3m deep and a Sunncamp 390 which isn't quite so deep. The Kampa is extremely good quality in terms of the material and its versatility in terms of door opening options etc - but it is very heavy to get on the rail - even with the side panels removed. At over £1000, it was also quite expensive.

The Sunncamp is also very well made - but is lightweight and much easier to get on the rail.  It's not quite as flexible in terms of door opening options but at £350 in an end of season sale about 4 years ago, it was much cheaper.

Another thing to consider is what to do if you have to pack it away wet.  The Kampa is a pain to dry at home - being a big lump - but drying the lightweight SC is easy and that's why it's our preferred awning for winter.

I use an electric pump and the Kampa takes 3 minutes to inflate - so effortless! We have had them both out in 50 mph winds and although they may flex a bit now and again in the gusts, both have been fine and, of course, no worries about poles damaging the van.

Posted on 18/04/2022 16:57

Another thing to consider is what to do if you have to pack it away wet. The Kampa is a pain to dry at home - being a big lump - but drying the lightweight SC is easy and that's why it's our preferred awning for winter.

Yes agree with that, we do have a solution - we bought four cheap pulleys from B&Q and had them fixed in the roof of our garage with lines between them. lay the wet awning on them and then pull it all up and leave for few days.

richardandros replied on 18/04/2022 17:53

Posted on 18/04/2022 16:57 by Cornersteady

Another thing to consider is what to do if you have to pack it away wet. The Kampa is a pain to dry at home - being a big lump - but drying the lightweight SC is easy and that's why it's our preferred awning for winter.

Yes agree with that, we do have a solution - we bought four cheap pulleys from B&Q and had them fixed in the roof of our garage with lines between them. lay the wet awning on them and then pull it all up and leave for few days.

Posted on 18/04/2022 17:53

That made me chuckle, Corners - you haven't seen my garage.  It's so full of woodworking machinery, I struggle to get near anything! There certainly isn't any room to incorporate your good idea.  We tend to spread the awning out in the hall at home (laminate floors so no damage) and it dries overnight.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook