High Onn - not a review; communication issue

Hja replied on 20/07/2021 20:41

Posted on 20/07/2021 20:41

On the High Onn site page there are several reviews relating to the arrival of travellers on the site and causing  problems for members already there, and arriving in later days.  Reference is made to the wardens trying to address the issue, and the police being called.  My guess is that as it is private property the police are unlikely to to be able to act.

I have not seen any response from the Club.  I really dont think the Club understands the power of social media or the reputational risk of not responding to this issue.  The subject is now being discussed on at least one other forum.

I appreciate that this is a difficult issue for the Club to resolve, especially as I understand that the  site has no entrance barrier.  It is not the only site to be visited by travellers.  The major issue seems to be that they will not follow site rules, even when they are members e.g. not pitching on pitches, but just anywhere, misusing facilities, being excessively noisy.

I am sure that the Club must be doing something about this - it has been going on some time, and I am sure wardens are briefed about what to do, BUT members are unaware of any of this.  Communication is key to reputation and member satisfaction.  

It took a lot of pressure before the Club made any announcement about the debacle of the entrance road to Cirencester site; I am sure there are other examples as well.  The Club really needs to make an effort to keep members informed.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2021 21:24

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:24

It’s not the only site similarly affected.

I'm sure the club will have briefed wardens on the actions to take but sometimes it's not wise to broadcast campaign plans for the world to read. Such things are probably best passed on, for obvious reasons, only on a need to know basis.

JollyKernow replied on 20/07/2021 22:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:11

We're well briefed, and some of us well experienced in the possible visit by unwelcome visitors. Not much to stress about in my opinion. Many people thrive on the negativity on social media and believe it true. 

Having worked at Cirencester Park I still don't get the "debacle" thing at all. 100+ outfits arriving and going daily with no issue at all. Mind boggling.

JK

Jifflejaffles replied on 06/08/2021 22:20

Posted on 06/08/2021 22:20

I was at High Onn when the travellers invaded the site. It has happened before and, by letting it happen again, the Club has shown a disregard for the safety of its members. I immediately took this up with the Club and am still waiting for a response. On past performance, I do not expect any satisfaction.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook