Gaslow

Pageantpete07 replied on 17/02/2022 18:15

Posted on 17/02/2022 18:15

I am   considering changing my gas from Calor to Gaslow  with a  refillable bottle any advice would be appreciated  .

SeasideBill replied on 17/02/2022 18:45

Posted on 17/02/2022 18:15 by Pageantpete07

I am   considering changing my gas from Calor to Gaslo  with a  refillable bottle any advice would be appreciated  .

Posted on 17/02/2022 18:45

Fitting a twin Gaslow system was a good move for me (about £600). Great for off-grid and continental touring use. Gas isn’t as easy to find in the UK as it was, but really not a problem with a bit of research and planning.

allanandjean replied on 17/02/2022 19:42

Posted on 17/02/2022 19:42

Some years back we considered refillable cylinders, Safefill, but decided against for two main reasons.

Our low levels of gas use meant it would take years to see the investment returned and the lack of fill points.

In Cornwall there is a fairly new fill point closer to us-but still a 50 mile round trip-but friends who have Gaslow, and had three nearby fill points, in Basingstoke-now find all closed.

SeasideBill replied on 17/02/2022 20:02

Posted on 17/02/2022 19:42 by allanandjean

Some years back we considered refillable cylinders, Safefill, but decided against for two main reasons.

Our low levels of gas use meant it would take years to see the investment returned and the lack of fill points.

In Cornwall there is a fairly new fill point closer to us-but still a 50 mile round trip-but friends who have Gaslow, and had three nearby fill points, in Basingstoke-now find all closed.

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:02

Not sure where you are in Cornwall but you can generally get it at Cornwall Services at Roche or failing that Redruth. On either the A38 or A30 you can fill-up as you leave Devon/Cornwall. Refills aren’t that frequent so shortage of refill points isn’t a problem unless you use vast quantities of LPG. When you’re out & about just locate a convenient garage en-route and do a slight detour if necessary.  The price differential between bottled and garage forecourt is considerable.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/02/2022 20:17

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:02 by SeasideBill

Not sure where you are in Cornwall but you can generally get it at Cornwall Services at Roche or failing that Redruth. On either the A38 or A30 you can fill-up as you leave Devon/Cornwall. Refills aren’t that frequent so shortage of refill points isn’t a problem unless you use vast quantities of LPG. When you’re out & about just locate a convenient garage en-route and do a slight detour if necessary.  The price differential between bottled and garage forecourt is considerable.

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:17

Shell at Carkeel Services would be A&J’s nearest en route east bound or have they removed their LPG pump?

DavidKlyne replied on 17/02/2022 20:23

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:23

Gaslow is designed to be a built in system. I just wondered how easy it would be to get a car with caravan attached into some filling stations? I think Kj has this system in his caravan so could probably help on that score. If you are determined to have refillable cylinders perhaps the Safefill might be better as they are not usually "built in" and can be taken to a filling station in the back of a car?

David

SeasideBill replied on 17/02/2022 20:37

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:23 by DavidKlyne

Gaslow is designed to be a built in system. I just wondered how easy it would be to get a car with caravan attached into some filling stations? I think Kj has this system in his caravan so could probably help on that score. If you are determined to have refillable cylinders perhaps the Safefill might be better as they are not usually "built in" and can be taken to a filling station in the back of a car?

David

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:37

Maybe, but if you can access to top up a car and caravan combo with fuel I wouldn’t expect LPG to be problematic. Not all LPG refuelling points are conventional petrol forecourts. The last place I used was in Devizes (Catleys Gas Centre), a business offering a refuelling station alongside Calor Gas and air products in addition to cabinet heaters & BBQ etc. 

However, I maintain that the most compelling reason to buy a Gaslow system is continental touring equipped with the appropriate adaptors.

SeasideBill replied on 17/02/2022 20:43

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:17 by Tinwheeler

Shell at Carkeel Services would be A&J’s nearest en route east bound or have they removed their LPG pump?

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:43

I have no idea where A&J lives, but the services on top of Haldon Hill (opposite the CMC Exeter Racecourse site) would be my choice heading East on the A38.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/02/2022 20:50

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:43 by SeasideBill

I have no idea where A&J lives, but the services on top of Haldon Hill (opposite the CMC Exeter Racecourse site) would be my choice heading East on the A38.

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:50

They’re around 20 miles east of you by road.

Trago near Newton Abbot and very close to the A38 is another.

KjellNN replied on 17/02/2022 23:27

Posted on 17/02/2022 20:23 by DavidKlyne

David

Posted on 17/02/2022 23:27

Yes, we do have a fixed Gaslow system, but you can also get direct fill removable Gaslow bottles.

We got our system back in 2012 so we could fill on long trips abroad, but it has been useful here too as we quite often use gas to get faster heat up with the Alde, or to supplement the 2kw electric side.

We had no problems accessing pumps abroad, and mainly OK here, only one failure so far, in Penrith where the LPG was not on the forecourt but away up the back and several parked vehicles were  blocking access.

We top up when about half empty, so getting the top up is never urgent, and just do it en route between sites, which usually means little or no detour.

We do not have a forecourt with LPG near our home, but that has never been a problem as we find plenty on our travels.

cyberyacht replied on 18/02/2022 08:23

Posted on 18/02/2022 08:23

As a caravanner, noseweight is usually an issue. As already suggested, Safefill are both removable and light. A similar weight is Gasbank but these are a "plumbed in" system.  A few keep a spare Calor as backup in case obtaining gas is ever problematic. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook