From the old we travel to the new!

mickysf replied on 15/07/2023 19:47

Posted on 15/07/2023 19:47

Who remembers those mops and buckets in the showers, the piped music in the loos, the triangular JCloths at every sink? Who recalls when campervans and motorhomes were so rarely encountered on sites they caused much comment and interest. Who remembers waving to every caravan you passed on the road before arriving at site and those Caravan Club pendants flying in most van windows. Who remembers the obligatory fire buckets place by the Jockey wheels of all caravans on site. Any memories of sites now long gone? Happy days! Any other nostalgic recollections, folk? 

JillwithaJay replied on 15/07/2023 19:57

Posted on 15/07/2023 19:57

We go back further than that with the gas mantles, metal single glazed 'flat' windows and a foot pump on the floor.  We do still put out a 'FIRE' bucket - just habit.

Does anybody out there remember Captain Boon?  We first encountered him at the Southport Site when he checked your noseweight and took you to your pitch on a moped.  He scared the life out of us youngsters and we arrived at York some time afterwards only to find he'd moved there.

mickysf replied on 15/07/2023 20:03

Posted on 15/07/2023 19:57 by JillwithaJay

We go back further than that with the gas mantles, metal single glazed 'flat' windows and a foot pump on the floor.  We do still put out a 'FIRE' bucket - just habit.

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:03

Yes, I too recall those, Jill.  I remember my dad reminding us not to touch those unlit mantles and the condensation they caused on those glass windows when lit on cold days. Oh, and the pedal pumped water from a bucket outside, basically a rubber bulb you trod on. 

MikeyA replied on 15/07/2023 20:11

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:11

I remember the days before footpumps 😁

Do you remember the touring caravans with 2 doors - nearside front and offside rear. A friend of my parents had from memory a Fairholme New Dawn I thought it was really posh. 

mickysf replied on 15/07/2023 20:38

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:38

Memory is not what it once was and these are certainly relatively recent ones but I do have a vague recollection of a CC site at Lady Cross near Egton, also one at Market Rasen racecourse.

The memory of that distinct hiss and smell issuing from the gas lighting is so evocative alongside music coming from that old ‘Tranny’ radio, Programmes like ‘Sing Something Simple’ to listen to on those wet days. Such fun!

Hja replied on 15/07/2023 20:39

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:39

I remember gas mantles and foot pumps. I remember buckets and mops and j-cloths. I dont remember pennants.

mickysf replied on 15/07/2023 20:45

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:39 by Hja

I remember gas mantles and foot pumps. I remember buckets and mops and j-cloths. I dont remember pennants.

Posted on 15/07/2023 20:45

They were little green flags with a horseshoe CC emblem on them if I recall correctly. Think some also had the  local centres names on them.

nelliethehooker replied on 15/07/2023 21:12

Posted on 15/07/2023 21:12

I can remember all of those mentioned above, and caravans with solid wooden floors, "bucket and chuckit" loos too.

TimboC replied on 15/07/2023 22:08

Posted on 15/07/2023 22:08

I remember as a 13yr old, sitting on the Elsan bucket in our toilet tent in a howling gale, and desperately hoping that I could get the business done before it took off.

Mum using an 'oven' that sat on top of the gas burner, and having to scrape ice off the inside of the windows in the morning

InaD replied on 15/07/2023 22:58

Posted on 15/07/2023 22:58

The first caravan we had in the late 80's had a separate "bathroom"; however, it just contained a sink, no shower and no toilet.  We had to buy a PortaPotti! Once we got a "posh" caravan a few years later (early 90's) it had a toilet and we sold our PortaPotti for £10laughing

I also remember the foot pumps and gas mantles, and the single glazing, complete with condensation.  No blown air or Alde heating, just a gas fire. 

Tinwheeler replied on 15/07/2023 23:07

Posted on 15/07/2023 22:58 by InaD

The first caravan we had in the late 80's had a separate "bathroom"; however, it just contained a sink, no shower and no toilet.  We had to buy a PortaPotti! Once we got a "posh" caravan a few years later (early 90's) it had a toilet and we sold our PortaPotti for £10laughing

I also remember the foot pumps and gas mantles, and the single glazing, complete with condensation.  No blown air or Alde heating, just a gas fire. 

Posted on 15/07/2023 23:07

You had a gas fire! That’s really modern.

Ours had no fire, no tap and just two gas rings and grill. No toilet, no nuffin - not even a gas locker.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook