Folding e-bikes.

Rockersmoll replied on 08/03/2018 21:22

Posted on 08/03/2018 21:22

After almost 20 years of caravanning, we are getting a motorhome! Next week! Very excited now. We are both in our 60's and not cyclists, but are going to buy bikes - for fun on cycle routes and to get us to the shops. We have almost decided on electric folding bikes so we can carry them inside the motorhome. This will mean our overall length is shorter for the ferry if we don't have a bike rack on the back. I have spent a few hours on the internet and discovered that the battery (for a Raleigh Stow-e way) may last between 3 and 5 years, and a replacement battery is about £300 which was a bit of a surprise. Does anyone have experience? Any advice would be great.

Tammygirl replied on 08/03/2018 21:42

Posted on 08/03/2018 21:42

We have 2 Prorider Wayfarer folding ebikes. Had them coming on 5 years now, well used over that time. One of the bikes has had a replacement battery as we were only getting 20 mls from a charge rather than 35 mls previously. OH got a new battery off the internet for about £100.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/03/2018 00:49

Posted on 09/03/2018 00:49

We have the same as Tammygirl although probably not used them anywhere near as much. They are very useful for the things you mention. They are not particularly lightweight but they do have alloy frames and the battery is easily removable. Picture on the banks of the Danube near Vienna.

David

cyberyacht replied on 09/03/2018 07:22

Posted on 09/03/2018 07:22

I recently bought a couple of Carrera Cross City eBikes second-hand. They'd hardly been used. Haven't had them long enough to be able to comment on battery longevity or range.

ocsid replied on 09/03/2018 09:29

Posted on 09/03/2018 09:29

Some thoughts that may help following my pre purchase research and now a year into ownership.

The range is so dependant on the following factors, the amount of assistance you set it to provide, your weight and the terrain used in, plus the battery's “ageing” does it no favours.
I am the wrong side of 15 stones but a quite fit and a lifetime cyclist; on two modest undulating rides i have got just on 100 miles from my wife's Kalkhoff Agattu. I though only attempted this to initially “condition” the battery, and avoid doing so as a routine.
It is not good for their batteries to be fully charged and fully depleted, so for its longevity you should adopt not fully charging or running it down. Leaving 20 % off each end so having the middle 60% of its maximum capacity to use, is not a bad pattern to adopt as a routine.
Therefore buy well over what on paper appears an acceptable range, as you don't want to ask that of it regularly, plus it will lose some with time; it will lose its capacity quicker and deeper if you ask it to do so.

Excess range in my experience in our usage is a big plus, simply because it facilitates having several “outings” without the need to recharge. Recharging is a doddle if on an EHU but off it becomes “challenging”, so having enough capacity to bridge between nights on a hook up is desirable, it avoids even trying to.

The OP's “needs” and budget point me towards suggesting a hub motor as opposed to the more expensive but more capable crank motor bikes. I am not reading a need to tackle killer hills or mud plugging but level easy rides? For that a hub motor is ideal, it does not need its drive routed though a range of gears to meet the different high torque and high speeds the more challenging rides require.
Personally I prefer the rear hub to be the one powered, I found front drive could behave “quirky” though my weigh might be a factor here. A light lady might find otherwise.

Definitely try before you buy, and try a few not one only as that is sure to seduce you but could be far from the most suitable.

young thomas replied on 09/03/2018 09:47

Posted on 09/03/2018 09:47

All good info and a nice analysis by Ocsid.

modern batteries last very well, with technology improving all the time..

.this means more range, faster charging, less deterioration through use..

ive done 11,000 km on my 3.5yr old Bosch driven bike and I reckon it's only lost around 5% off the range, which is pretty damn good....IMHO. 

Nothing else really to add except to say that, should the OP decide to do a bit of off gridding (Aires for a few day, a THS site for a week?) the longer range batteries will help keep the number of charges down, but it is perfectly possible to charge ebike batteries from a simple inverter (ours is 500w) connected to the leisure batteries.....we also have a solar panel to keep them topped up.....

good luck.

Rockersmoll replied on 09/03/2018 10:54

Posted on 09/03/2018 10:54

Thank you all for your comments. Tammygirl and DavidKlyne, I was really interested in the ProRider Wayfarer.  It seemed to meet all our needs, i.e, suspension, 20" wheels, lights, pannier, etc, and price was good - but - ProRider have had to cease production because the twist-grip motor control is now illegal.

Kalkhoff is out of our budget, which is up to £1,000 per bike.

Looks like we're back to Raleigh, and deal with the replacement battery when it happens.

ocsid had some useful comments, for which I thank you, and we don't intend tackling killer hills or mud plugging, thank you very much!

Any other advice gratefully received.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/03/2018 12:20

Posted on 09/03/2018 12:20

This looks like the replacement for the Wayfarer from Prorider https://www.proriderleisure.com/catalog/product/view/id/147/s/unisex-step-through-folding-electric-bike-pro-rider-flow-ex06010/category/48/

But quite a price hike! If you live within easy reach of Northampton they will let you have a ride on the electric bikes around their yard but obviously best to give them some notice.

David

RowenaBCAMC replied on 09/03/2018 12:30

Posted on 08/03/2018 21:22 by Rockersmoll

After almost 20 years of caravanning, we are getting a motorhome! Next week! Very excited now. We are both in our 60's and not cyclists, but are going to buy bikes - for fun on cycle routes and to get us to the shops. We have almost decided on electric folding bikes so we can carry them inside the motorhome. This will mean our overall length is shorter for the ferry if we don't have a bike rack on the back. I have spent a few hours on the internet and discovered that the battery (for a Raleigh Stow-e way) may last between 3 and 5 years, and a replacement battery is about £300 which was a bit of a surprise. Does anyone have experience? Any advice would be great.

Posted on 09/03/2018 12:30

Hi Rockersmoll and congratulations on your new motorhome. smile

FYI members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club can receive great offers with Raleigh:

·         10% off all Raleigh bikes

·         Free 12 month service at your local Raleigh Select Dealer (click and collect only)

·         Free bicycle helmet

See full member offer details here www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/Raleigh/

If you have any questions regarding the Raleigh products please contact their customer service team on 01773 532 691.

You can read Raleigh Customer Reviews here: www.raleigh.co.uk/customer-reviews

Enjoy your new motorhome and let us know how you get on. 

Rockersmoll replied on 10/03/2018 10:04

Posted on 10/03/2018 10:04

Yes, we have seen the new ProRider but have now ordered the Raleigh bikes.  We can have them by "click and collect" at our local bike shop (who get a little "bunce" from Raleigh for their trouble).  Included in the bundle for us is 0% finance for 2 years, free helmets and the first 12month service.  The bikes are made in Europe.

I will endeavour to find this discussion again in a few months time to let you know how we got on.  By then we will be fitter and leaner!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook