Folding Bikes

Eileen Patricia replied on 28/09/2017 16:41

Posted on 28/09/2017 16:41

I stayed on the Centenary site in the New Forest the other week, and decided to take my folding bike as I thought this would be more convenient to transport and store. What do other members think of folding bikes compared to normal size bikes? Does anyone have a folding bike and what make would you recommend?  

JVB66 replied on 28/09/2017 17:05

Posted on 28/09/2017 17:05

We have two that we take with us sometimes  (if area flatish) Ferry Meadows and Black Knowl are good ,   that we bought from Halfords years ago,  they are in carry bags and travel on the rear seat of the car

cyberyacht replied on 28/09/2017 17:08

Posted on 28/09/2017 17:08

I'm going to be in the market for a couple of electric folders shortly. Hopefully there will be some at the NEC to compare.

young thomas replied on 29/09/2017 08:10

Posted on 29/09/2017 08:10

CY, small wheeled bikes have a different 'feel' to normal bikes....IMHO less stable....TG and OH have them, used extensively, but i believe the replacements will have full sized wheels?....

again, IMHO, even if we didnt have our large garage, id still go for for full sized on a rack rather than folders to fit a smaller locker....the 'ride' experience is worth far more than any hassle of getting them on a rack, many of which can be set low these days, to make loading simple.

OK, i do a lot of miles on mine and perhaps if it were just a couple of miles to the shop every few days it would change things.....

remember, these are likely to be your transport when you dont/cant take the van out....

as i said in another post....try the full sized ones at 50 cycles (if you can) before the show, just to have something valid to compare against.

also, at the show, take as much time as you can testing anything on offer.....

remember, bikes bought at the show, rather than locally like 50 cycles, will require a return to depot to resolve any issues, rather than just around the corner.

good luck.

NevChap replied on 29/09/2017 08:32

Posted on 29/09/2017 08:32

I have a Dahon folding bike which I sometimes take. As mentioned the smaller wheels do give a different ride to a full size bike and so take time to get used to it before any serious excursions. I am pleased with my Dahon which is well made and I even use it sometimes at home instead of my full size bike for popping to the pub! I used to take a full size bike in the caravan but it was fiddly getting it in and out, much easier with the folder which I can easily fit in the back of the car.

ocsid replied on 29/09/2017 08:49

Posted on 29/09/2017 08:49

We have both folders and proper 700 wheeled hybrids. These days it is only the “proper” bikes that get taken. The folders, they are Dawes Kingpins don't take that much less “usable” space up as one might think, compared to the proper bikes with the front wheel quick released and bars dropped and turned. Even taking off one or both of the pedals [or replacing with folding pedals] is not too much an issue or even dropping out the rear wheels. One needs to think out the ramifications of these two compacting down options against the space they have to fit into.
The ride and pleasure our two types bring have no comparison so intended use consideration is IMO paramount. Pop to shops or 10 > 20 odd miles pleasure ride?
I read that Bromptons are claimed by some to have largely overcome the ride issue. I note their dealers have demo bikes which if interested in them I would definitely want to take up for at least a 5 mile “test ride”. These, in particular, fold very much more impressively than ours and I read about but have not seen are offered as e-drive versions/conversions.

peedee replied on 29/09/2017 08:53

Posted on 29/09/2017 08:53

CY the best place to see bikes and try them out is at one of the motor home shows. Not many traders are prepared to pay the NEC fees to exhibit. I bought mine from A.S Bikes at one of the Warner's shows. I think the last show of the year is coming up at Shepton Mallet.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 29/09/2017 09:43

Posted on 29/09/2017 09:43

Having always had full sized bikes, until we purchased a couple of folding electric bikes, my choice would be the full sized bike. But with all things it's a case of horses for courses. Folding bikes can be easier to store especially if you have to put them inside a vehicle. Unless you go for the ultra light bikes as seen in the BBC's W1A there seems to be no, if any,  weight advantage over a full size bike. If the OP is happy with her folding bike stick with it but if you want to get into more serious cycling with longer distances full size, in my view, is better. Having said all that I am beginning to think that my relationship with bikes might not last a lot longer as the aging process takes hold!!!!

David

ocsid replied on 29/09/2017 10:05

Posted on 28/09/2017 17:08 by cyberyacht

I'm going to be in the market for a couple of electric folders shortly. Hopefully there will be some at the NEC to compare.

Posted on 29/09/2017 10:05

These are the Bromptons that I read about, but the predicted prices with two to buy is eye watering even if justified; they certainly fold away as compactly as any I know about;

https://www.brompton.com/brompton-gbr/uk-store/bikes/Brompton-Electric-Reservation-Deposit/c-24/c-77/p-2897

Oneputt replied on 05/10/2017 08:24

Posted on 05/10/2017 08:24

I'm considering the Indigo Flip 24 but can't find any reviews online, has anyone got one and can they recommend, or not?  Thanks in advance.

H B Watson replied on 05/10/2017 12:31

Posted on 05/10/2017 12:31

Both my Mum & Dad bought folding electric bikes and to my knowledge they were never folded up. Nothing wrong with them but I'd say a non-folder is better unless it can't be carried. We always had them om a rear mounted bike rack anyway.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook